Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Director of Public Programs
Position Posted: January 2017
Reports to:VP of Education
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: This position directs the Zoo Public Programs Team which works to connect Zoo guests to the mission of Zoo Atlanta through the creation on grounds experiences that highlight the Zoo’s animal collection, research and conservation. This position is primarily responsible for the development, implementation and supervision of all on-grounds interpretation, as such they are responsible for the supervision of associated staff.This position is a member of the Education Leadership Team, which work together to strategically guide the work of the Education team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- * Lead the design, development and implementation of all on grounds interpretation at Zoo Atlanta (i.e. Exploration Station Carts, Amy’s Tree House programming, Giraffe Deck and Keeper Talks).
- * Develop and manage a team of permanent and seasonal staff to implement high quality learning experiences that enhance guest experience and advance the Zoo’s Mission.
- * Work with the Education Leadership team to strategically define, implement and evaluate programs and services for Zoo Atlanta.
- * Develop, implement and evaluate protocols for interpretation, including program/interpreter evaluations, mentoring, and communication with staff/volunteers
- * Ensures quality of interpretive programming for staff and all volunteers
- * Ensure conservation action messaging is integrated throughout programming and support any Zoo Atlanta conservation campaigns
- * Create and implement visitor studies; support any visitor studies not initiated by the public programs team
- * Maintains a working knowledge of current research, models, and philosophy of education in schools/museums/zoos
- * Management of the Public Programs budget
- * Works as part of a team to develop, update and evaluate exhibits
- * Actively participates in Zoo-wide organizations and professional organizations
- * Provide excellent guest service to all Zoo guests
- * Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings
- * Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
- * Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned
- Education level required for positions:
- o Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Biology, Zoology, Environmental Education or related field.
- o Master’s Degree preferred
- * Certificates/Licenses/Registrations:
- o National Association for Interpretation Certified Interpretive Guide required; if not already certified you can be considered but this will be required within 6 months of start date.
- o National Association of Interpretation Certified Interpretive Trainer preferred
- * Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
- o Prior work experience at a zoo, aquarium, wildlife park, or science center
- o Minimum of five years’ experience in supervision of staff
- o Minimum of five years’ experience in education project/program development and management
- o Knowledgeable about best practices in museum interpretation
- o Experience developing and managing budgets.
- o Working knowledge of program evaluation
- o Experience developing museum/zoo exhibits and signage preferred
- o Experience writing and managing grants is preferred
- o Extremely strong communication skills
- o Must be comfortable around all species, including snakes and spiders
- o Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- o Flexible schedule as weekend, holiday, and some evening work are required
Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds.
Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.