Job Title: Keeper II
Department: Birds and Program Animals
Reports to: Lead Keeper and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: Zoo Atlanta houses a diverse collection of birds. We are seeking an experienced bird keeper to add to our team. The Keeper II is responsible for bird husbandry (including training and enrichment) and maintenance of habitats, holding and public areas of the assigned area. The Keeper II will report to the area managers. This is position is also eligible to be filled at a Keeper III level, additional experience is required
- Maintain a high-performance level of general keeper dutiesincluding excellent animal care and guest interactions including scheduled on-ground talks.
- Strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive relationships within the work environment.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection and the safety of staff and guests with the willingness to provide constructive feedback.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the care of the collection including training, enrichment, research and education.
- Complete behavioral management training and utilize operant conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Actively foster constructive attitudes and positively participate in a team environment.
- Support Zoo Atlanta and its departments which include marketing, education, veterinary services, facilities and external department initiatives.
- Monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee administration of medications as applicable.
- Demonstrate the ability to coordinate and supervise activities of interns and volunteers.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers, both written and orally.
- When possible, actively participate in workshops, seminars, activities and conferences aimed at continually improving job knowledge and professional development.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth by the Curator or Assistant Curator.
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation initiatives.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends and holidays.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by management.
- A minimum of 3 years prior related bird care experience as determined by Zoo Atlanta with working knowledge of incubation, bird breeding and rearing experience is required. Paid experience at an AZA accredited facility is preferred.
- Good communication skills, an enthusiasm for interacting with the public and a willingness to give regular talks to guests, special groups, etc.
- Experience with operant conditioning and enrichment techniques is preferred but training will be given.
- Must be able to function as a team member and support Zoo Atlanta’s mission.
- Must have strong written and oral skills.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- The ability to use light power tools after suitable training, additional light carpentry skills are a plus.
- Four-year degree in biology, psychology, or related field is preferred; sufficient relevant experience will be considered.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have the physical ability to perform strenuous work. The ability to lift 30 pounds regularly and 50 pounds as needed.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
To apply for this position, please go to our website: zooatlanta.org/About/Careers
You may also send your application to Curator of Birds at firstname.lastname@example.org