Job Title:Sr.Director of Events and Catering Sales
Reports to: Senior Vice President Operations/Guest Svc
Posted: July 2017
Job Purpose: This role is designed to provide direction, oversight and expert level sales leadership to the Zoos Event and rental portfolio to facilitate sales and catering revenue. To conceive, plan, direct, control and implement all strategies and activities to generate and maximize overall event and catering revenues. To oversee, stimulate, guide and support the Sales operation; work closely with the Contract Catering Department to maximize catering revenues. Direct, develop and implement zoo’s public events department.Liaison with Contract food/catering provider, and other areas as assigned by Senior VP of Operations.
- § Develop, implement strategy for event sales and projected sales strategy for new event center (Savanna Hall), and develop tactical project plans to ensure successful deployment of revenue maximization strategies.
- § Create and develop sales and marketing plans and objectives for Savanna Hall events in conjunction with VP of Marketing, SVP of Operations and CFO
- § Provide input and guidance on sales talent hiring, training and planning
- § Implement Sales SOP’s including but not limited to sales guidelines, daily business reviews, etc.
- § Administer, and monitor budget expenditures, and make revenue and expenditures adjustments to stay within budget.
- § Prepares requests for proposal for services; evaluate bids and products; selects vendors or make recommendations for selection; evaluate and monitors quality of vendor or contract services; administers contract for services.
- § Manage Zoo facility scheduling for all internal and external Zoo events
- § Represent Zoo Atlanta and actively participate in Professional Organizations (NACE, ISES, HSMAI, WIPA, GaMPI, ACVB, DMC’s, etc.) by networking - goal to be determined each year. Also participate in Non-Industry Networking to support your proposal targets.
- § Establishes client base of organizations, associations, social and corporate businesses through direct outside and inside sales effort for the purpose of securing business.
- § Responsible for participating in yearly business planning as well as marketing plans to drive sales
- § Design, set up and attend promotional opportunities (client events, kiosks, trade shows, etc.)
- § Ensure that event facility policies and procedures are being followed.Update and place recommendations for any changes.
- § Creates P&L statements for all events
- § Maintains 18 month Events Calendar
- § Conducts monthly events meetings
- § Liaison with Food Service and Catering team, track and monitor sales and operations.
Ability to: direct the day-to-day activities of the event & catering sales team while you develop and maintain relationships with key clients. You will drive the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget, the event center marketing and business plan and produce monthly reports and sales forecasts. Analyze current/potential market and sales trends and create and develop special events and sales blitzes to showcase the Savannah hall to potential clients. You will review advertising, print and other media for the event center while working with VP of Marketing and sales, catering contractor and vendors to maximize advertising investments and ensure ads represent brand identity and are appropriate for target audience.
- Ø Must be willing to participate in training sessions to learn more about the zoo, animals, activities, associations and special programs offered by Zoo Atlanta.
- Ø Must be energetic, self-starter with excellent communication skills
- Ø Interact with a high level of professionalism and be diplomatic in your approach to others.
- Ø Must be comfortable interacting with the public and the ability to be sensitive and considerate to all people.
- Ø Should possess an appreciation of wildlife and be in agreement with the philosophy and support the mission and vision of Zoo Atlanta.
- Ø Must have outstanding customer service skills
- Ø Ability to manage multiple priority projects and handle confidential information and material.
- Ø Must be very organized and possess ability to supervise and manage both staff and volunteers
- Ø Must be available to work weekends and holidays as needed
- Ø Extensive knowledge of forecasting sales and interpreting/analyzing results to plan and conducting budgetary analysis
- Ø Extensive knowledge of sales skills, revenue management, catering and venue rental sales.
- Ø Minimum of 5 years of experience in a management position in event planning and execution, marketing and sales, operations management, hotel, museum, theme park, waterpark, convention center, FEC, Stadium or related hospitality field
- Ø Demonstrated project management experience in organizing, planning and executing large scale projects and or events from conception through implementation
- Ø Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Ø Must be proficient in Microsoft Word/Excel/ and Power Point programs (must be able to prepare reports, mail merge, spreadsheets, and organizational charts)
- Ø Knowledge of Caterease and Galaxy/Gateway software a plus
- Ø Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ø Must be multitask oriented and a self-starter, that works well with little or no supervision
- Ø Catering and banquet planning a plus
- Ø Proven track record for exceeding sales goals
- Ø Building and inspiring great team
Education level required for position
- Ø Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Hospitality, Food & Beverage, or Hotel / Restaurant Management or related field.
- * Must pass a MVR and have a valid Georgia driver’s license
- * Must be able to perform strenuous work and lift at least 50 pounds repetitively, bending, lifting, etc.
- * Must be willing to work weekends and holidays and evenings
- * Must be able to work outdoors in inclement weather
- * Must be dependable and demonstrate flexibility regarding work schedules
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and Drug-Free Workplace