Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Senior Keeper
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
The Senior Keeper position is expected to demonstrate leadership and provide support and guidance for the department. The Senior Keeper is not a supervisory positon, but may accept some supervisory functions in the absence of area managers, particularly in situations that require immediate action. Animal keepers are responsible for animal husbandry, including training and enrichment. Additionally, animal keepers are responsible for maintenance of habitats, holdings, and public areas as assigned. The Senior Keeper will report to the area managers. The Primate area is home to gorillas, orangutans, tamarins, lemurs, guenons, colobus, and drill monkeys as well as sloths. For more information about our animal, conservation, and research programs visit www.zooatlanta.org.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee administration of medications as applicable.
- Coordinate in the collaborative efforts pertaining to the care of the animal collection including, but not limited to, training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training and both utilize and model operant conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Actively participate in the improvement of area policies, procedures and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection and the safety of staff and guests.
- Demonstrate initiative towards continually improving advanced keeper duties including excellent animal care and guest interactions.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive relationships within the work environment and the ability to foster these skills in others.
- Positively promote and foster work that improves department function and productivity to exceed standards as well as using leadership to promote a team environment.
- Demonstrate leadership through example by fully supporting Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan, mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Demonstrates the ability to positively manage interns and volunteers.
- Demonstrates the ability to meet challenges with a solution oriented approach.
- Actively pursue opportunities to participate in workshops, seminars, activities, and conferences aimed at continually improving job knowledge and professional development with the goal of benefitting the Zoo Atlanta organization.
- Promote communication and information sharing between the zoological community.
- Represent Zoo Atlanta by participating in AZA programs such as TAGs, SSPs, studbooks, etc.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth by the area managers
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to supervise adult volunteers and interns.
- Must have ability to use light power tools after suitable training.
- Demonstrate good communication skills, an enthusiasm for interacting with the public and a willingness to give regular talks to guests, special groups, etc.
- While a Senior Keeper must be able to function as a team member, they also must be willing and able to provide necessary leadership and mentoring to staff.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by management.
- A minimum of 7 years’ animal care experience as determined by Zoo Atlanta is preferred. Sufficient relevant experience will be considered. Paid experience at an AZA accredited facility is also preferred.
- Experience with operant conditioning and enrichment techniques is required.
- Experience with primates is required.
- Must have strong written and oral skills.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- Four-year degree in biology, psychology, or related field is preferred; sufficient relevant experience will be considered.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have the physical ability to perform strenuous work.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
To apply for this position, please go to our website: zooatlanta.org/About/Careers