Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Interpretive Programs Supervisor
Position Posted: September 2017
Reports to: Manager of Public Programs
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Public Program team connects guests to our animal ambassadors, our mission and our work to conserve species, and strives to empower guests to advance the Zoo’s mission through their own appreciation and conservation of wildlife and wild places. The Interpretive Programs Supervisor is primarily responsible for development and facilitation of interpretive programming on-grounds, supervision of Exhibit Interpreter staff and the Exhibit Interpreter Coordinator, maintenance of interpretive resources and materials, and assisting with new exhibit development. Depending on the season and the needs of the Zoo, this position works approximately half out on-grounds and half in the Education office. This position directly reports to the Manager of Public Programs in the Education Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ø Provides interpretive experiences for a diverse audience of Zoo guests, including informal interpretation at exhibits, interactive educational cart stations, theatre stage presentations, as well as formal interpretive talks utilizing a microphone on-grounds.
- Ø Develop and maintain content for all interpretive programs, including writing and updating lesson plans and detailed outlines.
- Ø Evaluate interpretive programs and staff. Provide regular, on-going feedback to staff delivering programming.
- Ø Organizes and facilitates Zoo Atlanta’s Animal Awareness Days, including communication with and support of animal departments in content messaging and planned activities.
- Ø Hires, trains, and supervises part-time Exhibit Interpreter staff and seasonal staff.
- Ø Supervises the full-time Exhibit Interpreter Coordinator position and works closely with them to ensure effectiveness of interpretation on Zoo grounds.
- Ø Works with other Public Programs supervisors and the Exhibit Interpreter Coordinator to maintain collection of educational props and materials.
- Ø Participate as an active member of the biofact team, an education team that oversees the curation of the Zoo Atlanta Biofact collection as well as the live Dermestid beetle collection.
- Ø Assist in the implementation of protocols for interpretation, including program/interpreter evaluation, appropriate methods and techniques, mentoring, and communication with staff.
- Ø Collaborate with the Volunteer Management team to assess coverage and ensure the effective distribution of interpretation-related activities on Zoo grounds amongst Volunteers, Volunteens, and Exhibit Interpreter staff.
- Ø Assists with new exhibit development, including evaluations.
- Ø Assists with creation and updates to exhibit signage.
- Ø Assists with Zoo sponsored events
- Ø Provide excellent guest service to all Zoo guests
- Ø Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Education management team
- Ø Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
- Ø Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings
- Ø Extremely strong oral and written communication skills
- Ø Very strong organizational, research, and editorial skills
- Ø Supervisory experience and teamwork skills required
- Ø Demonstrated knowledge of interpretive techniques and ability to apply in a zoological setting
- Ø Must be comfortable around all species, including snakes and spiders
- Ø Must be comfortable working with animal artifacts, including preparation for educational use
- Ø Professional dress, appearance, and conduct
- Ø Flexible schedule as weekend, holiday, and some evening work are required
- Ø Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ø Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds
- Ø Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Education level required for positions: Bachelors degree in Education, Interpretation, Biology, Zoology, Environmental Education or related field
- Ø Certificates/Licenses/Registrations:
National Association for Interpretation Certification preferred
- Ø Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds.
- Ø Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.