Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Curator of Mammals
Date: October 2017
Reports to: Sr Director of Collections & Conservation
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Mammal Curator oversees, directs, and is responsible for the oversight and management of the mammal collection, including primates, carnivores, giant pandas, elephants and hoofstock to support the mission and strategic goals of Zoo Atlanta. This position requires strong management and leadership skills and a strong background in managing a large and diverse animal collection. The Mammal curator reports to the Senior Director of Collections and Conservation.
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure the highest standards of animal care and welfare, innovative exhibitry, and staff professional development
- Set and achieve departmental goals in line with Zoo Atlanta’s Strategic Imperatives and Mission, including Conservation and Research strategies
- Manage assistant curators who oversee the daily operations of mammal areas
- Work with Collections team to develop collection plan in line with Zoo’s vision and mission
- Develop, and ensure adherence to, emergency and safety procedures
- Ensure adherence to departmental and institutional policies and standard procedures
- Support non-animal departments to advance institutional goals
- Participate in public relations activities
- Achieve a leadership role in one or more AZA programs
- Develop and maintain collaborations with research and conservation partners
- * Other duties as assigned
- * Degree in biology, zoology, psychology or related field
- * Minimum of five years curatorial/supervisory experience at an AZA accredited institution or similar facility or equivalent experience
- * Excellent communication skills including proficiency in technical writing and public speaking
- * Demonstrated history of leadership and personnel management skills
- * Must be highly motivated, organized and demonstrate a willingness to adapt positively to corporate change
- * Must be able to maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to stand for extended periods, walk, climb or balance, stoop, reach, kneel and/or crouch, often on uneven terrain or wet surfaces. Must be able to lift, and/or move objects weighing 50 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Must be able to work outside in a variety of inclement weather conditions.
MISC: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment