Job Title: Horticulture Tech I
Reports to: Horticulture Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Horticulture Technician I is responsible for landscape duties and functions as necessary to meet operating needs with a high degree of efficiency and independence to maintain performance standards. This position will work with the maintenance/grounds staff to clear animal areas of debris, materials, etc. The Horticulture Technician I will report to the Lead Horticulture Technician.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Ø Installation and maintenance of plant materials, seasonal color, and turf for all Zoo landscapes and animal exhibits; includes pruning, pest management, greenhouse management, irrigation and public interaction
Ø Assist with supervision of seasonal staff and Volunteers
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of all types of grounds equipment, especially those related to horticulture and arboriculture, skid steer loaders, and backhoe tractors, is desired.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment as assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Horticulture management team
Ø Assist with identification and resolution of problems in order to maintain the Zoo’s botanical collection
* Knowledge and culture of plants, horticultural practices, procedures, and principles, is desired.
- Knowledge of installation, maintenance, and repair of irrigation systems preferred
Special skills and abilities:
* Communicate effectively verbally and in writing; understand and follow instructions.
- Operate mowers, weed-eaters, hedge-trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, tillers, chippers, sprayers, and other related equipment.
- Experience in an animal diet kitchen or other food prep operation is a plus.
- Must be able to pass Social Security and criminal background checks; must consent to TB, drug and FRT tests.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year; therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
* Good organizational and communication skills required.
* Must be able to work as a team member and with little or no direct supervision.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Driving Requirements: Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Perform physical tasks such as lifting > 50 pounds, digging, standing, walking, bending, climbing, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job; must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather. Work schedule may include weekends, evenings and holidays.
MISCELLANEOUS: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment.