Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Volunteen Coordinator
Position Posted: March 2018
Reports to: Volunteen Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: : Seasonal
Job Purpose: This position reports directly to the Volunteen Supervisor. This supporting position will assist in the management of the Teen Volunteer program and the Volunteens (ages 14-17) during its peak summer season. Monitoring and evaluating teens on duty, assisting in communication, recognition, retention, record keeping, and training of Zoo Atlanta’s Volunteens. This position will also assist with Family Volunteers - communication, record keeping, and training. The position requires enthusiasm and creativity as well as excellent skills in customer service, communication, conservation education, leadership, and time management. This is a part-time, seasonal position with a work schedule of Friday - Sunday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and one additional half day, May through August with occasional evening hours required.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist the Volunteen Supervisor in Volunteen Training of new Volunteen program participants, including set up, check in and check out, evaluations, and promoting positive experiences for all participants
- Maintain Volunteen database and files— personal data, contact information, volunteer hours, TB test results, evaluations, program records, awards, graduated Volunteens, etc.
- Meet Volunteens prior to the morning and afternoon shifts, during lunch, and at the end of the day and lead daily Morning Updates in the Volunteen Habitat
- Work with the Volunteen Supervisor to respond to questions and concerns from current, past and potential Volunteens and parents and assist the Volunteen Supervisor in writing Weekly Update emails
- Enforce all Zoo Atlanta and Volunteen policies during Volunteen shifts
- Assist the Volunteen Supervisor in creatively planning and hosting summer semester appreciation events, learning opportunities, and fun trips for current Volunteens
- Evaluate and support Volunteens during volunteer shifts, and collect feedback from other departments in regards to Volunteen work performance
- Manage Volunteens and Family Volunteers during Public Events including recruiting, supporting, and scheduling volunteer shifts and breaks during events
- Work with the Volunteen Supervisor to develop, promote and implement the summer professional development series offered to current Volunteens
- Ensure the safety of Volunteens at all times, and perform emergency procedure responsibilities as necessary
- Manage the ordering and sale of Volunteen uniform items as needed
- Provide support as needed to the Volunteen Supervisor, Family Volunteers, Docents, and Adult Volunteers
- Provide excellent guest service to all Zoo guests, and set an example for Volunteens
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
Any other miscellaneous projects/assignments assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Education management team
- Proven two (2) years of experience in working with adolescents
- Extremely strong oral and written communication skills
- Very strong organizational, research, and editorial skills
- Flexible schedule as weekend, holiday, and some evening work are required
- Professional dress, appearance, and conduct
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Education level required for positions: Bachelor’s degree in Education, Environmental Education, Psychology or related field
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.