Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Youth & Family Program Supervisor
Reports to: Manager of School and Family Programs
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Youth & Family Program Supervisor oversees all aspects of Youth & Family Program Suite, including but not limited to overnight and evening programming, scouts, nature play and family-based programs. The Youth & Family Program Supervisor works as part of the School & Family team to design, implement and evaluate programs that advance the Zoo’s mission. This position supervises all staff working within the programs and is responsible for ensuring safety and a high quality experience for our guests.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of development, implementation and evaluation of all youth and family programs. This includes curriculum development for new programs and revision and expansion of existing programs.
- Train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate program instructors, interns, and Volunteers
- Assist in the development of a marketing action plan to promote an increase in program attendance and revenue throughout the year.
- Purchase and prepare program materials and supplies.
- Develop and prepare pre-and post-program materials for participants (registration packet, activities, animal information, etc.).
- Manage Youth and Family budgets in collaboration with the Manager of School and Family Programs.
- Serve as backup instructor for other education programs.
- Attain and maintain Zoo Atlanta Animal Handling certification
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement.
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Education Management Team.
- Must possess strong leadership capabilities and the ability to motivate and encourage others.
- Previous experience supervising others
- Ability to pass background check
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
- 5 years of informal/formal education required
- 2 years of program coordination experience required
- Working knowledge of state/national educational trends and the ability to incorporate them into programming.
- Experience managing budgets
- Professional dress, appearance and conduct
- Excellent oral communication skills required
- Superior customer service skills
- Must be comfortable interacting with the public and the ability to be sensitive and considerate to all people
- Willingness to be trained as well as handle animals for programs, including snakes and other reptiles, mammals, amphibians and invertebrates
- First Aid/CPR preferred
- Certified Interpretive Guide (CIG from NAI) preferred
- Driving Requirements: this position requires occasional driving, this individual must possess a valid driver’s license
Education: Bachelor’s degree in educations, zoology, biology, psychology, or related field
- This position requires walking, sitting and standing for long periods of time.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and/or push 50 pounds
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Must be available to work on occasional weekends, evenings, and holidays. May be expected to work outside more than 50% of the time - must be comfortable working in all weather conditions.
MISC: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment