Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Keeper II
Department: Mammals (Carnivores)
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: Animal keepers are responsible for animal husbandry (including training and enrichment) and maintenance of habitats, holding and public areas of the assigned department. Keeper II and Keeper III will report to the area managers. For more information about our animal, conservation, and research programs visit www.zooatlanta.org.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee administration of medications as applicable.
- Maintain a high-performance level of advanced keeper dutiesincluding excellent animal care and guest interactions.
- Strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive relationships within the work environment.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection and the safety of staff and guests with the willingness to provide constructive feedback.
- Support and participate in the coordination of collaborative efforts pertaining to the care of the collection including, but not limited to, training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training and utilize operant conditioning techniques.
- Actively foster constructive attitudes and positively participate in a team environment.
- Support Zoo Atlanta and its departments which include marketing, education, veterinary services, facilities and external department initiatives.
- Demonstrate the ability to coordinate and supervise activities of interns and volunteers.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers, both written and orally.
- When possible, actively participate in workshops, seminars, activities, and conferences aimed at continually improving job knowledge and professional development.
- Must be willing to fully support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan, mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth by the area managers.
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends and holidays.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by management.
- A minimum of 3 years prior related animal care experience as determined by Zoo Atlanta is required for Keeper II. Paid experience at an AZA accredited facility is preferred.
- Good communication skills, an enthusiasm for interacting with the public and a willingness to give regular talks to guests, special groups, etc.
- Experience with operant conditioning and enrichment techniques is preferred.
- Must have strong written and oral skills.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- Must have the ability to use light power tools after suitable training.
- Four-year degree in biology, psychology, or related field is preferred; sufficient relevant experience will be considered.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have the physical ability to perform strenuous work.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment