to be considered for this position you must also send your resume and cover letter to James Ballance, Curator of Birds, Herpetology & Ambassador Animals
Job Title: Assistant Curator of Birds
Position Posted: October 2018
Reports to: Curator of Birds, Herpetology and Ambassador Animals
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Assistant Curator of Birds position will oversee the daily care and welfare of the bird collection as well as provide leadership and support for the bird team staff.
- Under the direction of the Curator, the position will oversee daily operations to ensure the highest standards of animal care and welfare, exhibits, visitor satisfaction, visitor and staff safety and staff professional development
- Manage staff to achieve department collection goals by implementing collection plan actions, public interaction program schedule, research and conservation goals, etc.
- Work animal care routine as necessary including related projects
- Provide active support to keepers in behavioral management/operant conditioning. A solid background in this area is highly desirable
- Work with the curator to develop and update the departmental standard operating procedures and ensure staff adherence to these policies and procedures
- Contribute to the development of the annual collection plan and Zoo Atlanta’s master plan
- Support non-animal departments to achieve their goals, including Education and Advancement departments
- Participate in public relations activities
- Achieve an active leadership role in one or more AZA programs
- In conjunction with the Curator actively support the department’s conservation goals and related activities
- Seven years’ increasing experience in the management of a diverse bird collection
- Supervisory experience of paid staff at an AZA accredited institution or similar facility
- Demonstrated history of successful leadership and personnel management skills
- Must be highly motivated, organized and demonstrate a willingness to adapt positively to corporate change
- Bachelors degree in biology, zoology, psychology or related field highly preferred;
- * Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license
- Must be proficient in all Microsoft Office software.
Must be able to perform strenuous work and lift 50 pounds on occasion and 30 pounds frequently, plus bending
Must be able to work outdoors in inclement weather
MISC: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
James Ballance, Curator firstname.lastname@example.org