Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Auction Operations Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Donor Events
Job Status: Contract (February to June)
Job Purpose: The Auction Operations Coordinator directs the planning, execution and post-event details of the silent and live auctions for Zoo Atlanta’s annual fundraising gala, the Beastly Feast. This seasonal position will be held from February to June and will serve as a liaison between Zoo Atlanta and the community volunteer (s) that serve on the Beastly Feast Executive Committee as Auction Chair(s) and members of the Auction Committee. The primary focus of this position will be on the logistical aspects of staging both live and silent auctions while ensuring that the requests of the Auction Chair(s) are met and that all requests adhere to Zoo Atlanta policies. Extensive interfacing with electronic auction bidding company is also required and an understanding of how the technology can be used to execute an auction is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the relationship with the Auction Chair(s) ensuring that her/their requests are met while adhering to the goals and approved practices of Zoo Atlanta
- Provide all communication to the Auction Chair(s) and Auction Committee members concerning solicitation, donations received, supplies needed and donation pick-up
- Attend all Auction Committee meetings from February to April
- Attend all Beastly Feast Executive Committee meetings February to April
- Coordinate solicitation mailing to former or potential auction donors as well as mailing of acknowledgments to auction donors
- Solicit for all Zoo auction items from the various donating Zoo Atlanta departments
- Maintain database of donor and donation information
- Inventory, tag and properly store all auction items
- Determine the items to be promoted in the Auction Highlights included in the save-the-date mailer and/or final invitation
- Identify and coordinate with the online auction provider for the pre-event auction and determine the items that will be featured
- Coordinate all Live Auction activities at the Beastly Feast including promoting the items prior to the event and during the cocktail portion of the night, managing the auction volunteers, assisting auctioneer to identify bidders, obtaining payment information from winning bidders and providing information to cashiers
- Produce and coordinate all aspects of the silent auction including interfacing with the electronic bidding provider, determining volunteer needs and communicating pertinent information to Zoo staff regarding auction operations/logistics
- Perform post-auction activities including follow-up calls through June to arrange pick-up of items and to finalize payment information, inventory remaining items, send thank-you letters to donors, coordinate Volunteer Appreciation Party Auction and provide any requested revenue reports/data
- Knowledge of etiquette and protocol when dealing with donors as well as internal Zoo staff
- Experience with auction planning and logistics
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to motivate others and foster creativity
- Budget and vendor management experience
- Familiar with auction electronic bidding technology
- Volunteer recruitment and management skills
- Nonprofit management expertise
Special skills and abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage staff support from all departments of the zoo to achieve event and communications success.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate production of event collateral print materials.
- The candidate must possess strong ethical and discretionary qualities.
- Must have the ability to work under pressure.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values.
- Should have a strong appreciation of zoo, wildlife, and conservation.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
Bachelors Degree preferred
- Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Office environment utilizing a computer, work closely with others, work independently.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment