Job Title: Professional Development and Curriculum Specialist
Date: October 2018
Department: Education Department
Reports to: Manager of School & Family Programs
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Job Purpose: The purpose of this position is lead the innovation of all Zoo Atlanta professional learning programs and curriculum. Specifically, they will be responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of all teacher professional learning programs and curriculum at Zoo Atlanta.This position will also be responsible for coordinating the Partnerships in STEM Initiatives IMLS grant recently received by Zoo Atlanta.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Professional Learning Program Development and Instruction
- Ø Develop and implement a comprehensive professional learning program for PreK-12 educators
- Ø Create new programs as well as revise and expand existing programs in accordance with state and national education standards and trends.
- Ø Oversee and participate in the development of STEM based curriculum that promotes an understanding of the natural word and conservation of species.
- Ø Purchase and prepare program materials and supplies.
- Ø Develop, implement and report on evaluation of professional development experiences
- Ø Develop and prepare any necessary program materials for participants (registration packet, activities, animal information, etc.).
- Ø Assist in the development of a marketing action plan for increasing levels of program attendance and revenue throughout the year.
- Ø Become a certified Zoo Atlanta Animal Handler.
Grant Program Instruction and Support
- Ø Ensuring that all grant responsibilities are met by contacting and scheduling schools to participate as well as maintaining grant reporting records.
- Ø Develop and implement professional learning programs as outlined by the grant.
- Ø Maintaining an online classroom portal to communicate with partner school educators
- Ø Assist the School Programs Supervisor with the development of curriculum, purchase and preparation of program materials.
- Ø Teach grant-based programs, including ZooMobiles, Field School Programs and Professional Learning Programs.
- Ø Assist with yearly grant reports.
- Ø Perform other grant-related duties as assigned.
- Ø Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
- Ø Weekend/holiday and some evening work required
- Ø Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings
- Ø Master’s Degree in Education or related field OR Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field with significant experience in education
- Ø Experience developing Professional Development Programs for Educators
- Ø Excellent customer service skills
- Ø Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ø Ability to pass background check
- Ø Care and concern for wildlife, children, and education
- Ø Willingness to handle and work with animals, including snakes and other reptiles, mammals, amphibians, and insects
- Ø Must maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license and be willing to drive Zoo vehicles
- Ø Must be able to repeatedly lift and/or push 50 pounds
- Ø Normal Weekly Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday
- Ø Must be available to work on weekends, evenings, and holidays
- Ø May be expected to work outside more than 50% of the time - must be comfortable working all weather conditions
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.