Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Lead, Rides
Reports to: Manager, Rides
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time, hourly
Job Purpose: To provide a safe and enjoyable Rides and KidZONE experience to Zoo Atlanta’s Members and guests, supervise Rides Team Members, and ensure guest experience standards are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for daily implementation of policies, procedures and protocols to ensure the highest standards of team member and visitor safety through team member training and implementation of safety protocols and procedures
- Responsible for ensuring an excellent level of Member and guest satisfaction by ensuring guest experience standards are met or exceeded, including guest recovery
- Assist Rides Manager with ensuring ongoing maintenance, open communication with the Maintenance Team, and documentation of maintenance needs and solutions
- Complete purchases and handle cash, credit and check purchases securely and accurately, and compile daily end of day accounting paperwork
- Fill in for Rides team members, Treetop Trail team members, and/or cashiers when needed or as assigned
- Meet and/or exceed individual and team goals as set by management team
- Demonstrate leadership through example, fully supporting Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan and working with team members to support the plan
- Actively foster constructive attitudes and a team orientation among team members plus the ability to appropriately delegate responsibilities
- Approve Rides team timecards
- Manage schedule and timekeeping of Rides team to ensure sufficient coverage
- Lead interviewing and hiring Rides team members under the direction of the Rides Manager
- Complete a variety of paperwork correctly and with an emphasis on detail
- Inventory management
- Attend mandatory trainings
- Train Rides team members, including team members from other departments
- Assist Treetop Trail team when needed and provide leadership in absence of Ropes Course Lead
- Must be willing to work holidays, weekends and Zoo Atlanta events as needed
- Maintain positive working relationships and communication within the Membership and Guest Services teams as well as with all other Zoo Atlanta staff
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo Atlanta Leadership
- 21 years or older
- 100% attendance of RCI training session and successful completion of written and practical tests.
- Ability to understand and use a harness properly.
- Comfortable being in close proximity to other people.
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Hospitality, Marketing or related field or equivalent experience
- Must have at least 1 - 2 years’ experience in customer service
- Previous climbing/high ropes course experience preferred
- Must be able to handle cash and credit card purchases accurately and keep customer information secure in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to communicate clearly with a variety of visitors of diverse backgrounds
- Must have a friendly demeanor and be approachable
- Must be able to multi-task and pay close attention to details
- Must possess excellent telephone etiquette and problem-solving skills
- Computer literacy required, including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, with particular strength in Word and Excel. Experience working with databases desired.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to interact with Zoo guests
- Focus on strong customer service and quality orientation
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year; therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel management skills and the ability to lead a team
- Strong organizational and time management skills and the willingness to oversee the daily running of the department as needed
- Possess excellent communications skills and willingness to interact positively with guests and zoo staff
Certificates/Licenses/Registrations - Successful completion of RCI training session, 160 hours of documented hours of operating a Sky Trail® system and successful completion of RCI Operator Trainer course. (Training provided at time of hire. Employment is contingent on successful completion of training courses and documented hours.)
Driving Requirements: Valid Driver’s License (Georgia preferred)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Capabilities to bend, stoop, climb and stand for up to 8 hours at a time. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Ability to insert and remove the puck of the slider assembly into and out of the overhead track. Ability to wear an RCI approved harness. Comfortable working up to 15’+ above the ground.
- Most work will be outdoors; must have ability to work in all kinds of weather
- Ability to work in and manage crowds
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides a Smoke-free and
Drug-free Work Environment.