Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Title: School and Family Evening/Weekend Educator II
Updated: December 2018
Job Status: Part-time
Primary Reporting to: Manager of School and Family Programs
Secondary Reporting to: School and Family Programs Supervisors
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Job Purpose: An Evening/Weekend Educator II advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating experiences that engage, educate and energize program participants to action. These individuals teach evening, overnight and weekend daytime programs both at the Zoo and in the community. Specifically, they facilitate learning for groups of all ages using interactive, STEM-based curriculum that showcases Zoo Atlanta’s work to conserve wildlife and wild places; how to protect our environment; and how every person can make a difference in these areas. Educator IIs will additionally train to become approved animal handlers and facilitate Program Animal Ambassador experiences as part of educational programming.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver high quality programming as part of all Zoo Atlanta’s weekend, evening, and overnight educational experiences. Programming includes but is not limited to: Night Crawlers, Twilight Trek, Scout Programs, Adventure Cubs, Nature Play, Special Events, and Tours
- Commitment to learn and master all content and skills needed to provide quality programming to Zoo program participants and guests.
- Be able to provide excellent customer service to all zoo guests, including parents, teachers, chaperones, students, etc.
- Preparation and breakdown of program materials
- Report program needs to supervisor as necessary.
- Provide animal ambassador experiences, when appropriate, as part of programming. This includes ensuring the safety of all guests and animals during experiences.
- Must complete and maintain animal ambassador handling status, per Zoo Atlanta animal ambassador handling policies.
- Know and follow all emergency procedures and protocols
- Maintain a positive and encouraging attitude to co-workers and guests
- Assist with and/or lead on-grounds programming and projects as needed
- Must attend all Zoo Atlanta mandatory training (i.e. customer service training)
- Must attend all mandatory Lead as well as Team meetings and workshops
- Completion of various additional duties as assigned
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with interpretation, formal or informal education in a zoological, museum, camp, school, non-profit or related setting
- Experience working with children and families
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Excellent oral communication skills required
- Must have an appreciation for environmental education and a commitment to conservation and animal welfare
- Professional dress, appearance, and conduct
- Must be comfortable handling and working with animals, including snakes and other reptiles, mammals, amphibians, and invertebrates
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Ability to drive Zoo Atlanta outreach van
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license
- Must pass background and TB check
- Education level required for position: Bachelor’s degree majoring in Education, Communication, Interpretation, Biology, Zoology, Environmental Education, or related field
Schedule/Availability Requirements :
- Must have the capability to work Wednesday-Sunday evenings and nights as well as weekend days 9am-2pm with the potential to be available for early morning and late afternoon programs
- Must give at least 2 days availability per pay period (pay period is 2 weeks long), will schedule for at least 1 shift based on program availability
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds
- Willingness to work outside in inclement weather
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
[MK1]See notes on Educator I about availability