Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Vice-President, Facilities & Construction
Position Posted: December 2018
Reports to: Deputy Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time:
Zoo Atlanta is seeking a Vice-President of Facilities and Construction with the ability to provide oversight of all aspects of facilities management and excellent facility planning and improvement solutions. The ideal candidate must have a visionary approach to operational and strategic problem resolution. A proven track record in project management, construction oversight, and facilities / equipment maintenance is required.
Responsibilities include: Key member of senior leadership team responsible for developing ideas and plans related to capital acquisitions and construction. Seeks effective and efficient ways to meet facility and exhibit demands in light of guest activity and animal requirements. Hires, within organizational guidelines, and oversees outside contractors and architects who may be engaged for renovations or new construction. Manages a staff that is responsible for facilities maintenance and small project acquisition and construction. Oversees third party housekeeping and janitorial staff and ensures adherence to quality standards. Ensures that building systems and mechanical resources including mechanical, fire/life safety, etc. function optimally.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages a staff that is responsible for maintenance and construction at Zoo facility.
- Manages third party housekeeping and janitorial firm responsible for all campus facilities - both public and behind the scenes.
- Ensures proper maintenance and upkeep of all systems and furnishings within Savanna Hall in partnership with the Senior Director, Events.
- Assures the optimal functioning of building systems including mechanical, fire/life safety, filtration, etc.
- Works with Zoo management and CFO/CAO to develop annual and multi-year facility plans and budgets.
- Determines best approach regarding in-house or out of house labor in order to deliver approved projects.
- Responsible for requests for proposals and competitive bids for design and construction contractors.
- Ensures proper staging of various Zoo projects.
- Advises senior management as to project priorities, alternatives and best practices.
- Provides timely communication to staff, as appropriate, regarding construction activity.
- Oversees contractors and design consultants for renovation projects and new construction.
- Responsible for HVAC, electrical, and fleet maintenance.
- Acts as Zoo’s team leader in all matters pertaining to construction, including permitting.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement.
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment as assigned.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Thorough knowledge of all construction trades as well as maintenance programs to include maintenance of HVAC equipment, filtration/water quality systems, and fleet maintenance.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Working knowledge of maintenance/work order software
- At least 3 years managing a campus environment - multi-acre, multi-building sites’ facilities and construction program.
- Prefer AZA accredited institution or experience managing large campus environment.
- Experience preparing RFP’s, RFQ’s and assessing competitive bids required.
- Experience in sourcing MWBE qualified consultants and contractors
- Special skills and abilities:
- May be a licensed building contractor or other trade.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Proven effective communicator, particularly as it relates to project timelines and status
- Exhibits and has demonstrated excellent judgment
- Proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business or other related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Certificates/Licenses/Registrations: Certified Facilities Manager or Construction Management Certification and LEED AP designation are pluses but are not required
- Driving Requirements: Must have a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs on a daily basis, walking standing and bending is required of this position on a daily basis, etc. (A pre-employment physical is mandatory for this position)
- Employee is expected to work outside 50% of the time, must be comfortable working in cold and hot weather conditions.
MISC: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit our website @ zooatlanta.org/About/Careers