Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Exhibit Interpreter I
Position Posted: Jan 2019
Reports to: Conservation Education Initiatives Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Job Status: Part-time
Job Purpose: The Public Program team connects guests to our animal ambassadors, our mission and our work to conserve species, and strives to empower guests to advance the Zoo’s mission through their own appreciation and conservation of wildlife and wild places. This position is primarily responsible for conducting interpretive and conservation education programming on-grounds. This position directly reports to the Public Programs Supervisory Team and the Exhibit Interpreter Coordinator oversees daily responsibilities.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide interpretive, educational experiences for Zoo guests, including informal interpretation at exhibits, theater stage presentations, interactive Conservation Carts, storybook readings, and other engaging activities.
- Raise awareness of conservation issues and empower a diverse audience of guests to take action through programs and educational opportunities
- Perform formal scripted interpretive presentations to large crowds using a microphone.
- Move large groups of guests through various exhibits by leading and providing crowd control for up to 60 guests at a time.
- Provide excellent guest service inside exhibits to ensure a positive viewing experience for everyone
- Maintain positive working relationship with staff and volunteers at exhibits, including but not limited to other Exhibit Interpreter staff, Operations staff, Volunteer interpreters, Interns, and Animal Management staff
- Assist in the organization and maintenance of educational materials
- Assist with Zoo sponsored events, sometimes in early morning or evening hours
- Any other miscellaneous projects assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Education management team
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work weekends, holidays and evenings
- Minimum of 6 months experience with interpretation, public speaking, formal or informal education in a zoological, museum, camp, school, non-profit or related setting
- Understanding of AZA-accredited institutions and related functions
- Extremely strong oral and written communication skills
- Very strong organizational, research, and editorial skills
- Experience working with children and families
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Professional dress, appearance, and conduct
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Flexible schedule as weekend, holiday, and some evening work are required
- Availability: Consistent weekend availability required, 3 days per week minimum required.
- Education level required for positions: Associate’s degree or two years of college education majoring in Education, Communication, Interpretation, Biology, Zoology, Environmental Education, or related field
National Association for Interpretation, Certified Interpretive Guide Certification preferred
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended lengths of time
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be comfortable spending significant amounts of time and interpreting in very close proximity to all species, including reptiles, amphibians, spiders, and insects.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.