Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Summer Camp Educator
Posted: January 2019
Reports to: Manager of School and Family Programs
Secondary Reporting to: Community and Camp Programs Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Seasonal
Job Purpose: The Summer Camp Educator position advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating experiences that engage, educate and energize program participants to action. Specifically, Summer Camp Educators facilitate learning for ages 4-14 years old using interactive, STEAM-based curriculum that showcases Zoo Atlanta’s work to conserve wildlife and wild places; how to protect our environment; and how every person can make a difference in these areas. This is a full-time, seasonal position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deliver high quality programming as part of Zoo Atlanta’s Summer Safari Camp programs
- Commitment to learn and master all content and skills needed to provide quality programming to Zoo program participants and guests.
- Be able to provide excellent customer service to all zoo guests, including parents and campers
- Facilitate lunchtime and extended care activities
- Document and notify Supervisor of any camp related or behavioral issues
- Preparation and breakdown of program materials
- Report program needs to supervisor as necessary.
- Know and follow all emergency procedures and protocols
- Maintain a positive and encouraging attitude to co-workers and guests
- Assist with and/or lead on-grounds programming and projects as needed
- Must attend all Zoo Atlanta mandatory training
- Must attend all mandatory Team meetings and workshops
- Completion of various additional duties as assigned
- Normal Weekly Schedule: Monday-Friday
- Orientation: May 20 - May 24, 2019
- Camp: May 28 - August 2, 2019
- full-time, non benefited
- Must be available ALL dates
- Previous experience with interpretation, formal or informal education in a zoological, museum, camp, school, non-profit or related setting
- Experience working with children and families
- Must be energetic, creative, responsible, dependable and have an enthusiasm for wildlife and children.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Excellent oral communication skills required
- Must have an appreciation for environmental education and a commitment to conservation and animal welfare
- Professional dress, appearance, and conduct
- Must be comfortable working around animals, including snakes and other reptiles, mammals, amphibians, and invertebrates
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Must pass background and TB check
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Must have High School or GED Diploma.
- Must have at least 1 year of college or professional experience in a related field.
- Animal, science, or education academic training in a formal or informal setting preferred.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and/or push 40 pounds.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.