Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Summer Camp Lead Educator
Posted: January 2019
Reports to: Manager of School and Family Programs
Secondary Reporting to: Community and Camp Programs Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Seasonal
Job Purpose: The Summer Camp Lead Educator position advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating experiences that engage, educate and energize program participants to action. As a Summer Camp Lead Educator, this position assists in facilitating and overseeing daily program logistics, ensuring that Educators are prepared to successfully and safely lead camp groups throughout the Summer. Summer Camp Lead Educators facilitate learning for groups of all ages using interactive, STEM-based curriculum that showcases Zoo Atlanta’s work to conserve wildlife and wild places; how to protect our environment; and how every person can make a difference in these areas. This is a full-time, seasonal position that reports to the Community and Camp Program Supervisor and the Manager of School and Family Programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assume management of program, when program supervisors are not present. This includes ensuring a high quality, safe, engaging experience for Zoo program participants as well as acting as a support and resource for other program staff.
- Assist in leading educator orientations, trainings and the development of camp curriculum
- Educate and inspire guests (primarily campers ages 4-14) to be conservation stewards
- Assist supervisors in managing day to day operations of programs, including but not limited to program rules and expectations
- Collaborate with supervisors and other Zoo Team members to ensure all guest or staff issues/incidents are documented and addressed in a timely and professional manner.
- Model appropriate behavior and professionalism and be a resource to Educators and guests
- Prepared to act as a back-up Educator as necessary
- Report program needs to supervisor as necessary.
- Lead daily check-in and/or check-out; lead extended care activities as necessary.
Educator/Zoo Team Specific:
- Deliver high quality programming as part of Zoo Atlanta’s Summer Safari Camp programs
- Commitment to learn and master all content and skills needed to provide quality programming to Zoo program participants and guests.
- Be able to provide excellent customer service to all zoo guests, including parents and campers
- Preparation and breakdown of program materials
- Know and follow all emergency procedures and protocols
- Maintain a positive and encouraging attitude to co-workers and guests
- Assist with and/or lead on-grounds programming and projects as needed
- Must attend all Zoo Atlanta mandatory training
- Must attend all mandatory Lead as well as Team meetings and workshops
- Completion of various additional duties as assigned
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with interpretation, formal or informal education in a zoological, museum, camp, school, non-profit or related setting
- Experience coordinating programs, preferred
- Experience supervising others
- Experience working with children and families
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Excellent oral communication skills required
- Must have an appreciation for environmental education and a commitment to conservation and animal welfare
- Professional dress, appearance, and conduct
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license
- Must pass background and TB check
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology, education, psychology, or related field required.
- Animal, science or education academic training in a formal or informal setting is a plus.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and/or push 40 pounds.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Schedule - Must be available ALL dates
- Normal Weekly Schedule: Monday-Friday
- Lead Training: Saturday, May 4, 2019; Saturday, May 11, 2019
- Orientation: May 20 - May 24, 2019
- Camp: May 28 - August 2, 2019
- Full time, non-benefited
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.