Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Position Posted: January 2019
Reports to: Manager of Volunteer Programs
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Seasonal
Job Purpose: This supporting position will assist in the management of the Volunteer programs including the J.O.E.Y. Volunteers (ages 8 - 13), the Volunteen Program (ages 14-17), and the Adult Volunteer program (ages 18 & up) as we prepare for the busy season of Summer. Responsibilities may include monitoring and evaluating teens on duty, assisting in communications with all volunteers, recognition, retention, record keeping, and training of Zoo Atlanta’s Volunteers. The position requires enthusiasm and creativity as well as excellent skills in customer service, communication, conservation education, leadership, and time management. This is a part-time, seasonal position with a work schedule of Friday - Sunday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and one additional half day, April through July with occasional evening hours required to support with events.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist the Volunteen Supervisor in Volunteen Training of new Volunteen program participants, including set up, check in and check out, evaluations, and promoting positive experiences for all participants
- Maintain Volunteer database and files— personal data, contact information, volunteer hours, TB test results, evaluations, program records, awards, etc.
- Meet with Volunteers prior to the morning and afternoon shifts, during lunch, and at the end of the day and lead daily Morning Updates in the Volunteer Habitats
- Work with the Volunteer Programs team to respond to questions and concerns from current, past and potential Volunteers
- Enforce all Zoo Atlanta and Volunteer policies
- Assist the Volunteer Programs team in creatively planning and hosting appreciation events, learning opportunities, and trainings
- Manage volunteers during Public Events including recruiting, supporting, and scheduling volunteer shifts and breaks during events
- Ensure the safety of all minor volunteers at all times, and perform emergency procedure responsibilities as necessary
- Provide excellent guest service to all Zoo guests, and set an example for Volunteers
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
Any other miscellaneous projects/assignments assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Education management team
- Proven two (2) years of experience in working with adolescents
- Extremely strong oral and written communication skills
- Very strong organizational, research, and editorial skills
- Flexible schedule as weekend, holiday, and some evening work are required
- Professional dress, appearance, and conduct
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Education level required for positions: Bachelor’s degree in Education, Environmental Education, Psychology or related field
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.