Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Interpretation Specialist
Position Posted: January 2019
Reports to: Manager of Public Programs
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Public Programs team connects guests to our animal ambassadors, our mission and our work to conserve species, and strives to empower guests to advance the Zoo’s mission through their own appreciation and conservation of wildlife and wild places. The Interpretation Specialist is primarily responsible for development, evaluation, and facilitation of daily, informal interpretive programs on-grounds, roving interpretation, and maintenance of related interpretive resources and materials. Depending on the season and the needs of the Zoo, this position works approximately half out on-grounds and half in the Education office. This position directly reports to the Manager of Public Programs in the Education Department.
? Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates and provides daily, informal on-grounds interpretive experiences for a diverse audience of Zoo guests including, but not limited to, self-guided programs, engaging activities, and Conservation Carts.
- Raise awareness of conservation issues and empower guests to take action through programs and educational opportunities.
- Develop and maintain content for interpretive programs and activities, including writing and updating lesson plans and detailed outlines.
- Evaluate interpretive programs in development and for effectiveness. Make recommendations based on evaluations.
- Provide regular, on-going feedback to staff delivering programming.
- Work closely with the Exhibit Interpreter Coordinator position to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of interpretive resources utilized in Public Programs.
- Assist in the implementation of protocols for interpretation, including program/interpreter evaluation, appropriate methods and techniques, mentoring, and communication with staff.
- Assists with new exhibit development, including evaluations.
- Serve as Animal Content Project Lead, a role that is responsible for organizing and maintaining Zoo Atlanta’s Animal Encyclopedia and other resources, assisting in writing signage, and creating website content.
- Collaborate with the Volunteer Management team to assess coverage and ensure the effective distribution of interpretation-related activities on Zoo grounds amongst Volunteers, Volunteens, and Exhibit Interpreter staff.
- Collaborate with the Volunteer Management Team to identify appropriate Interpretive Programs and activities volunteers can assist with and to develop and lead trainings on those opportunities.
- Provide excellent guest service to all guests inside exhibits to ensure a positive viewing experience for everyone.
- Maintain positive working relationship with project partners, staff, and volunteers.
- Assists with Zoo sponsored events.
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Education management team.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings
- Minimum of 3 years of paid experience with interpretation, public speaking, formal or informal education in a zoological, museum, camp, school, non-profit or related setting.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience developing interpretive and/or educational programs.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of interpretive techniques and ability to apply in a zoological setting.
- Extremely strong oral and written communication skills.
- Very strong organizational, research, and editorial skills.
- Must be comfortable around all species, including birds, snakes, insects, and spiders.
- Must be comfortable working with animal artifacts, including preparation for educational use.
- Professional dress, appearance, and conduct.
- Flexible schedule as weekend, holiday, and some evening work are required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Education level required for positions: Bachelor’s degree in Education, Interpretation, Biology, Zoology, Environmental Education or related field
National Association for Interpretation, Certified Interpretive Guide Certification preferred; Must be willing to obtain certification upon hiring
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.