Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Animal Nutrition Bamboo Technician
Department: Animal Nutrition
Reports to: Mgr/Diet Prep Ops
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: full-time
Job Purpose: Reports to the Bamboo Lead Tech and Manager of Animal Nutrition. This position will cultivate, propagate, identify, and harvest bamboo on locally-identified sites for the purpose of animal food.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consult with keeper staff to assess bamboo requirements in animal areas
- Harvest bamboo from locally-identified sites in a manner appropriate for animal consumption
- Maintain quality control of bamboo; this includes washing, cleaning, weighing, tagging, and delivery to animal areas.
- Provide daily record keeping of bamboo species harvesting logs
- Cultivate and propagate sites for the purpose of harvesting for animal consumption
- Assist with continued development of the Zoo’s local bamboo harvesting program, including site evaluation and species identification
- Dig and plant bamboo as required
- Maintain all departmental vehicles, tools and equipment
- Lead tours of Animal Nutrition Department for educational purposes
- Assist with supervision of staff and Volunteers when required
- Assist with the diet preparation operation as needed
- Perform other Animal Nutrition Team duties as assigned
- Consistently demonstrate strong and positive leadership skills in a team-oriented environment, with proven ability to work well with coworkers
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Commit to completion of bamboo species identification training and proficiency in bamboo field site evaluation and plant identification
Minimum 1 year experience in an Animal Nutrition Department preferred.
Education level required for position:
Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Biology or related field preferred. Sufficient relevant experience will be considered in partial fulfillment of educational requirements.
Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to drive a standard transmission vehicle and repeatedly lift 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to work in inclement weather conditions.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.