Zoo Atlanta Job Description
Job Title: Summer Safari Camp Educator
Reports to: Community & Camp Programs Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Seasonal/Hourly
Job Purpose: The Summer Safari Camp Educator
position advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating experiences
that engage, educate and energize program participants to action.
Specifically, summer camp educators facilitate learning for groups
ages Pre Kindergarten-Rising 12th Graders (4-17 years old) using
interactive, STEAM-based curriculum that showcases Zoo Atlanta’s
work to conserve wildlife and wild places; how to protect our
environment; and how every person can make a difference in these
areas. This is a full-time, seasonal position that reports to the
Community and Camp Program Supervisor and the Manager of School and
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Enthusiastically engage campers by leading them through
environmental and conservation education lessons, Zoo tours,
hands-on projects, games and activities for age groups ranging from
Pre-Kindergarten-Rising 12th Graders (4-17 years).
- Facilitate extended care games and activities with campers.
- Document all camp issues as needed including camper behavior
- Know and follow all emergency procedures and protocols.
- Complete assigned responsibilities including set-up, clean-up
and program maintenance. Assist with daily check-in and check-out.
- Supervise lunchtime activities.
- Build and maintain a good working rapport with co-workers,
campers and parents.
- Work in a team environment, creating a safe and fun experience
- Attend and actively participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Normal Weekly Schedule: Monday-Friday
- Training: May 16, 2020
- Orientation: May 18 - May 22, 2020
- Camp: May 26 - July 31, 2020
- Must be available ALL dates
- Previous experience teaching or managing children required;
either in a formal or informal environment
- Excellent oral communication skills required
- Leadership and customer service experience.
- Must be energetic, creative, responsible, dependable and have
an enthusiasm for wildlife and children.
- Willingness to work around animals, including snakes and other
reptiles, mammals, birds, amphibians, and invertebrates.
- Be able to provide excellent customer service to all zoo
guests, including parents, teachers, chaperones, etc.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must pass a background and TB check
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Must have High School or GED Diploma.
- Must have at least 1 year of college or professional
experience in a related field.
- Animal, science, or education academic training in a formal or
informal setting preferred.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and/or push 40 pounds.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other
management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job
duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that
this job description does not constitute a written or implied
contract of employment.