Job Title: Seasonal Keeper
Department: Ambassador Animals
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Seasonal
Animal keepers are responsible for animal husbandry, including
training and enrichment. Additionally, animal keepers are responsible
for maintenance of habitats, holdings, and public areas as assigned.
The Seasonal Keeper will report to the area managers. For more
information about our animal, conservation, and research programs
This is an entry level position. The amount of bird handling will be
directly related to prior experience, however learning opportunities
for the less experienced candidate will be abundant. Position
dates: April 13th, 2020- Sept 13th, 2020
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection
and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Provide daily husbandry at the World of Wild Theater where we
house our show bird collection. This includes, but is not limited
to, hawks, falcon, owls, parrots, vulture, and crows.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the
care of the collection including training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures, and
protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection
and the safety of staff and guests.
- Maintain a high-performance level of general keeper duties
including excellent animal care and guest interactions including
scheduled on-ground talks.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive
relationships within the work environment.
- Positively promote and foster work that improves department
function and productivity.
- Work with and provide guidance to interns and volunteers.
- Must be willing to fully support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan,
mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth
by the area managers.
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends
- Prepare the theater for daily shows.
- Provide positive experiences while interacting with zoo guests
including adults and children of all ages.
- Provide behind the scenes show support for our free flight bird
show and conduct live animal encounters to educate zoo guests.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.
- Prior related animal care experience is preferred.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers
both written and orally.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- Must be able to use light power tools after suitable training.
- Experience handling birds in an education setting
- Experience public speaking in a formal or informal setting
- High School Diploma required. In pursuit of, or in possession of,
a Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have
the physical ability to perform strenuous work.
- Applicant must be able to lift 50 lbs on occasion
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other
management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job
duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that
this job description does not constitute a written or implied
contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free