Job Title: Maintenance Technician III
Department: Facility Maintenance
Reports to: Manager of Maintenance
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Maintenance Technician is
responsible for the maintenance and repair of Aquatic Life Support
systems, HVAC systems, buildings, animal habitats, and other
equipment. He/she participates in the maintenance, repair, and
replacement of equipment and exhibits This position will also at times
be responsible for projects including new exhibit and capital
improvements for the Zoo.
This position will frequently interface with other Zoo Atlanta
management staff including animal curatorial staff, veterinarians, and
at times, senior management staff regarding safety issues, animal
habitat issues, as well as infrastructure and equipment adjustments
and needed repairs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide preventative maintenance and repair of all equipment
(i.e., HVAC, mechanical, electric, plumbing, aquatic life support
systems and other environmental components) to ensure their proper operation.
- Provide routine scheduled maintenance.
- Create and follow maintenance schedules and checklists with supervisor.
- Assist with installation and repair of equipment and fixtures.
- Help prepare budget for equipment replacement.
- Monitors condition of equipment and systems.
- Assist with fabrication of new exhibits and/or prototypes.
- Provide scheduled and emergency exhibit maintenance or repair.
- Demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and supervisors.
- Must be able to work weekends, late evenings on occasion, and holidays.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and
- Responsible for operations & maintenance for all Zoo Atlanta
water filtration equipment including aquatic animal Life Support
Systems (LSS) and water features.
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo
Atlanta’s Facility Maintenance management team.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year,
therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to
work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Must have demonstrated experience in working in a team oriented environment.
- Must have a minimum of three to five years’ experience as a
maintenance staff technician in a facility, institution, campus or
service team operation.
- Must have an advanced knowledge in a minimum of one of the
following key areas: mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry,
welding and/or other custom fabrication, automation & controls
systems, auto repair.
- Experience working in a public zoo, aquarium, water park or
equivalent facility including a general knowledge of freshwater
chemistry and how it pertains to aquatic animals is highly desirable
but not required.
- Must have a strong maintenance background. Desirable to have the
ability to diagnose and repair industrial mechanical plant equipment
including HVAC, centrifugal pumps, heat exchangers, air compressors,
automated control systems.
- Must have above average computer skills. Proficiency with
Microsoft Office products is a must. Experience using computerized
maintenance management software is a plus.
- Must be able to work a flexible weekly & weekend schedule
including working a combination of day, evening and overnight shifts
- Must have outstanding communication skills. Must be able to
communicate well both orally & written. Must be able to generate
operations & maintenance reports using email, spreadsheets and
- High school diploma required.
- A four-year college degree or equivalent technical school
certificate is preferred but not required.
- AALSO Level 1(or higher) Operator certification is preferred but
- Certification or Licensure in HVAC, electrical or plumbing is desirable.
- Driving Requirements: Must have a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
(All employees that drive a Zoo vehicle/cart/operate a Ride
(train, carousel, etc) must consent to a MVR verification that is
acceptable per Zoo Atlanta’s auto liability insurance carrier’s
guidelines to perform this function).
- Physical ability to be able to life at least 50 pounds
repetitively, bending lifting etc.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Employee is expected to work outside more than 50% of time, must
be comfortable working in cold and hot weather conditions.
MISC: This job description is not intended to be
all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform
other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate
supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to
revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is
mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a
written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free