Job Title: Lead Keeper Herpetology
Reports to: Asst/Curator of Herpetology
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: Zoo Atlanta is looking for an upbeat
and focused lead keeper to join our Herpetology team. This is a
working supervisor position working with the Associate Curator and a
team of five keepers for daily management of over 120 reptile,
amphibian, fish, and feeder invertebrate species. The successful
candidate will actively participate in and oversee daily husbandry
routines within diverse habitats in a recently constructed zoo complex
focused on reptiles and amphibians.
We are looking for someone with a desire to excel as a leader,
positive supervisory experience, an overall knowledge of basic and
advanced herpetological husbandry techniques. Additionally, someone
with strong communication and organizational skills, knowledge of
appropriate operant conditioning and enrichment techniques,
self-motivation, experience monitoring and maintaining aquatic life
support systems, and the ability to set our team of keepers up for success.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following
skills, abilities, and experience:
- Positively manage keeper staff, volunteers, and interns while
maintaining an environment of respect and inclusivity.
- Coordinate collaborative efforts pertaining to the care of the
collection including, but not limited to, veterinary communications,
training, enrichment, facility needs, research, and education.
- The ability to meet challenges with a solution-oriented approach.
- Demonstrate leadership through example by fully supporting Zoo
Atlanta’s strategic plan, mission and values, and work with all zoo
staff to support these plans.
- While the Lead Keeper must be able to function as a team member,
they also must be willing and able to provide necessary leadership
and mentoring to staff to ensure department success while supporting
Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan, mission, and values.
- Good communication skills to maintain positive relationships
within the Herpetology department, the ability to foster an
environment that improves department productivity, and a goal to not
just meet, but to exceed industry standards.
- Implement and enforce area policies, procedures, and protocols to
ensure the highest standards of care for the collection and the
safety of animals, the team, and guests while adhering to AZA, OSHA,
and other regulatory standards. This includes conducting animal
welfare assessments with the team and improvement or updating of
protocols and procedures when appropriate.
- Promote communication and information sharing between multiple
departments at Zoo Atlanta as well as the larger zoological
community as a whole (i.e. participation in AZA programs,
conservation work, research, and/or other initiatives beyond Zoo
Atlanta’s gates are encouraged where appropriate).
- The ability to use light power tools after proper training.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the successful candidate may be required to perform other
reasonably related duties as assigned by management.
- Five or more years of professional experience as determined by Zoo
Atlanta is preferred. Paid experience at AZA-accredited facilities
is strongly preferred.
- Supervisory experience is preferred
- Four-year degree in biology, psychology, or related field is
preferred although sufficient relevant experience will be considered.
- Experience with appropriate modern operant conditioning and
- Must have good communication skills including strong written,
oral, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- Experience monitoring and managing aquatic life support systems.
- Enthusiasm for interacting with the public and a willingness to
give regular presentations to guests, special groups, etc.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends,
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have
the physical ability to perform strenuous work.