Job Title: Keeper II
Department: Ambassador Animals
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Animal keepers are responsible for animal husbandry, including
training and enrichment. Additionally, keepers are responsible for
maintenance of habitats, holding, and public areas of the assigned
department. The Keeper II will report to the area managers. For more
information about our animal, conservation, and research programs
visit www.zooatlanta.org. The
Ambassador Animals department includes 3 work areas; World of Wow
Theater includes our free flight demonstration birds, Wieland Wildlife
Home includes our tractable education animals, and Outback Station
includes our contact yard and periphery exhibits. This
position is a primary position in the Outback Station/Contact Yard.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and
communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Maintain a high-performance level of general keeper duties
including excellent animal care and guest interactions.
- Strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive
relationships within the work environment.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures and
protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection
and the safety of staff and guests with the willingness to provide
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the
care of the collection including training, enrichment, research and education.
- Complete behavioral management training and utilize operant
conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Actively foster constructive attitudes and positively participate
in a team environment.
- Support Zoo Atlanta and its departments which include marketing,
education, veterinary services, facilities and external department initiatives.
- Demonstrate the ability to coordinate and supervise activities of
interns and volunteers.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers,
both written and orally.
- When possible, actively participate in workshops, seminars,
activities and conferences aimed at continually improving job
knowledge and professional development.
- Must be willing to fully support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan,
mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth
by the area managers.
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends
- Perform non-scripted public demonstrations and animal encounters
utilizing live animal ambassadors.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.
- A minimum of 3 years prior related animal care experience as
determined by Zoo Atlanta is required. Paid experience at an AZA
accredited facility is preferred.
- Good communication skills, an enthusiasm for interacting with the
public and a willingness to give regular talks to guests, special
- Experience with operant conditioning and enrichment techniques is preferred.
- Must have strong written and oral skills.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- Demonstrate the ability to use light power tools after suitable training.
- Experience with domestic hoofstock is preferred, especially hoof care.
- Four-year degree in biology, psychology, or related field is
preferred; sufficient relevant experience will be considered.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have
the physical ability to perform strenuous work. .
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other
management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job
duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that
this job description does not constitute a written or implied
contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free