Job Title: Herpetology Keeper
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Asst. Curator/ Curator of Herpetology
Job Status: Seasonal
Job Purpose: The Seasonal Keeper is expected to
maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through
implementation of area protocols and procedures, maintain a high
performance level of general keeper duties including excellent animal
care and visitor interactions, actively participate in our
departmental mission of husbandry, education, and research. Zoo
Atlanta maintains a large, diverse collection of reptiles and
amphibians. The position may also coordinate and supervise activities
of interns and volunteers as required.
- Participate in daily husbandry, exhibit maintenance, and visitor
- Observe and report animal behavior and health to supervisors and
- Participate in daily husbandry, exhibit maintenance and visitor service
- Actively foster constructive attitudes and a team orientation
- Maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through
implementation of safety protocols and procedures
- Coordinate and supervise activities of interns and volunteers as required
- Other duties as assigned
- This position requires a willingness to work holidays, weekends
and flexible work schedules often outdoors.
- Experience working with amphibians and/or reptiles is preferred
but not required.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year,
therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to
work some weekends, holidays and evenings
Special skills and abilities:
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Must have the willingness and ability (when appropriate) to handle
and restrain non-venomous animals.
- Basic maintenance and carpentry skills desirable.
Education: A four-year degree in biology, zoology or
related field is preferred, but not required.
Driving Requirements: Must obtain and maintain a
valid Georgia driver’s license.
Work Environment: Must be able to work outdoors in
all weather conditions and have the physical ability to perform
strenuous work. The ability to lift 30 pounds regularly and 50 pounds
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other
management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job
duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that
this job description does not constitute a written or implied
contract of employment.