Job Title: Maintenance Technician II
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for the
maintenance and repair of Aquatic Life Support systems, HVAC systems,
buildings, animal habitats, and other equipment. He/she participates
in the maintenance, repair, and replacement of equipment and exhibits
This position will also at times be responsible for projects including
new exhibit and capital improvements for the Zoo.
This position will frequently interface with other Zoo Atlanta
management staff including animal curatorial staff, veterinarians, and
at times, senior management staff regarding safety issues, animal
habitat issues, as well as infrastructure and equipment adjustments
and needed repairs.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide preventative maintenance and repair of all equipment
(i.e., HVAC, mechanical, electric, plumbing and other environmental
components) to ensure their proper operation.
- Provide routine scheduled maintenance.
- Create and follow maintenance schedules and checklists with supervisor.
- Assist with installation and repair of equipment and fixtures.
- Help prepare budget for equipment replacement.
- Monitors condition of equipment and systems.
- Assist with fabrication of new exhibits and/or prototypes.
- Provide scheduled and emergency exhibit maintenance or repair.
- Demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and supervisors.
- Must be able to work weekends, late evenings on occasion, and
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Value statement.
- Promote and maintain a safe work environment.
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo
Atlanta’s Facilities & Construction management team.
- Knowledge & Skills:
- 2 - 4 years’ experience as a maintenance staff technician in a
facility, institution, campus or service team operation.
- Must have an advanced knowledge in a minimum of one of the
following key areas: mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry,
welding and/or other custom fabrication, automation & controls
systems, auto repair.
- Experience working in a public zoo, aquarium, water park or
equivalent facility including a general knowledge of freshwater
chemistry and how it pertains to aquatic animals is highly desirable
but not required.
- Must have a strong maintenance background. Desirable to have the
ability to diagnose and repair industrial mechanical plant equipment
including HVAC, centrifugal pumps, heat exchangers, air compressors,
automated control systems.
- Must have above average computer skills. Proficiency with
Microsoft Office products is a must. Experience using computerized
maintenance management software is a plus.
- Must be flexible and receptive to change.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year,
therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to
work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Excellent organization and time management skills, and good oral
and written communication skills. Must be able to generate
operations & maintenance reports using email, spreadsheets and
- Ability to prioritize work and to be a self-starter.
- Working knowledge of hand and power tool operation and safety.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Graduation from a technical school with degree or diploma preferred.
- Certification or Licensure in HVAC, electrical or plumbing is desirable.
- All employees that drive a company vehicle/equipment must
provide a verified MVR that is acceptable per Zoo Atlanta’s auto
liability insurance carrier’s guidelines to perform this function).
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs. on a daily basis. (A
pre-employment physical is mandatory for this position).
- Must be able to climb ladders and work at heights of 10 feet and
above for prolonged periods.
- Prolonged standing, walking, stooping, and the ability to crawl
into small spaces are a regular part of the job.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Employee will expect to work
outside 50% of the time, must be comfortable working in cold and hot
MISC: This job description is not intended to be
all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform
other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate
supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to
revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is
mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a
written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free