Job Title: Occupational Health and Safety Manager
Department: Loss Prevention
Reports to: Director of Loss Prevention
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Occupational Health and Safety
Manager under general supervision is responsible for the day-to-day
development, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s
occupational health and safety programs. The Occupational Health
and Safety manager reports directly to the Director of Loss Prevention.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Create, implement, and review occupational health and safety plans
- Assist in forecasting annual budget for safety programs.
- Interact with Public by providing first aid, directions,
explaining policies and procedures.
- Participate in building / exhibit construction meetings to review
- Conduct routine safety assessments, inspections and reviews;
assist supervisors with accident, incident and near miss
investigation; investigate root causes and ensure corrective action.
Conduct internal investigation relating to sensitive safety issues.
- Works with SLT, team members and contractual partners in various
capacities to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and
local laws and regulations. Specific programs include compliance
with (but not limited to): Emergency Procedures Manual, Emergency
Exercises, Hazard Communications (SDS), OSHA standards, NFPA,
industrial hygiene, JSA’s, lockout/tagout, bloodborne pathogen’s, OC
Spray training, etc.
- Ensure safety committee operates in accordance with Zoo Atlanta
Safety Committee charter and best practices.
- Maintain weapons certification.
- Takes a lead role in developing and implementing the Emergency
Response Program, including developing procedures, providing
training, conducting drills, assisting with actual responses, and
overseeing post drill reviews. Update the emergency procedures and
manuals to comply with AZA (Associations of Zoos and Aquariums)
guidelines and best practices, ensures that team members are
trained, and manuals properly posted.
- Make recommendations for purchases of weapons, ammunition and
other necessary items as needed.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Director
of Loss Prevention, or SVP of Operations.
- Safety Engineering, Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene,
Environmental Safety, OSHA standards, NFPA standards and Fire
Prevention, Firearms training; USDA guidelines, ADA guidelines,
Emergency Management, Incident Command System (ICS), National
Incident Management Systems (NIMS), FEMA, GEMA, Active Shooter
Preparedness, Worker’s Compensation, Lockout/Tagout; etc.
Special skills and abilities:
- Minimum 5 years in professional capacity related to safety,
industrial hygiene, or similar field with budgeting and supervisory responsibilities
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to conduct both formal and informal training
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent oral and written communications
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Knowledge of AZA Accreditation standards a plus.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year,
therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to
work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in safety engineering,
Industrial Safety, Safety Management, Business Administration, or
related field preferred.
- Weapons Certification
- CPR Certification
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Licensed Safety
Professional (LSP), National Association of Safety Professionals
Certification, (NASP) or Certified Safety Manager (CSM) preferred.
- OSHA 40 Hour HAZWOPER / HAZMAT Certification preferred
Driving Requirements: Must have a valid GA driver’s
license and good MVR. All employees that drive Zoo
vehicles/carts/operates a Ride (train, carousel, etc) must consent
to an MVR verification that is acceptable per Zoo Atlanta’s auto
liability insurance carrier’s guidelines to perform this function.
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather. Employee is
expected to work outside more than 50% of time, must be comfortable
working in optimal as well as inclement weather conditions.
MISC: This job description is not intended to be
all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform
other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate
supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to
revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is
mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a
written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is and EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free