Job Title: Browse Technician
Reports to: Horticulture Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: ‘Browse’ is any approved plant species
that can be consumed as a supplement to an animal’s diet. The Browse
Technician is responsible for supplying browse to the Zoo’s animal
collection teams on a regular and timely basis. Includes all aspects
of identification, procurement, handling and delivery. Reports to the
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for coordinating with Zoo partner organizations to
schedule regular browse pick ups off site and harvesting browse on
zoo grounds as needed using appropriate Best Management Practices.
- Consulting with keeper staff to assess animal area browse requirements.
- Harvest browse from locally identified sites in a manner
appropriate for animal consumption.
- Responsible for daily record keeping of browse species harvesting logs.
- Responsible for researching new browse proposals and report
findings to Horticulture manager and Veterinary staff.
- Cultivation/propagation of sites for the purpose of harvesting for
- Assist with continued development of the local harvesting program,
including site evaluation and species identification.
- Maintenance of all departmental vehicles, tools and equipment.
Includes pruning tools, saws, chainsaws, leaf blowers, etc.
- Maintenance of browse gardens on zoo grounds.
- May at times assist the Horticulture team with Zoo grounds
maintenance as needed.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and
- Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo
Atlanta’s Horticulture team.
- Quality plant ID skills highly important. Must be able to discern
approved browse from unapproved species.
- Completion of browse species identification training and
proficiency in browse field site evaluation and plant identification.
Special skills and abilities:
- Ability to learn to drive and operate medium/heavy duty vehicles -
including 14’ trailer and skid steer. Ability to drive a manual
- Consistently demonstrates strong and positive leadership skills in
a team-oriented environment and proven ability to work well with co-workers.
- The ability to work independently at times with minimal to no supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year,
therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to
work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Biology
or related field preferred.
- Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to drive manual
transmission vehicle preferred and repeatedly lift 50 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Must be able to work in inclement
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other
management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job
duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that
this job description does not constitute a written or implied
contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free