Job Title: Public Programs Coordinator
Reports to: Manager of Public Programs
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: Zoo Atlanta’s Education Public Programs
Team connects directly with Zoo guests to forge the human-animal bond
and communicate the importance of Zoo Atlanta’s successful research
and conservation programs. This position is primarily responsible for
leading all Public Programs including in-person and virtual
Interpretive Programs and Animal Immersion Programs, maintaining
program equipment and materials, and coordination of daily
interpretation and programs. This position directly reports to the
Manager of Public Programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leading Animal Immersion Programs including Wild Encounters,
Giraffe Feeding, and Virtual Animal Encounters.
- Monitor and instruct guests during Giraffe Feeding, Wild
Encounters, and Keeper for a Day and other Animal Immersion
experiences to ensure compliance to all protocols for the safety of
guests and animals.
- Lead all Interpretive Programs including interpretive talks using
a microphone, hands-on activities, stage presentations, Animal
Awareness Days, Conservation Carts, Citizen Science, Zoo Seekers and more.
- Leading Virtual Animal Encounters and any other virtual Public Programs.
- Provide engaging interpretation at Zoo exhibits to inspire and
empower a diverse audience of guests to take conservation actions.
- Ensuring exhibit interpretation coverage by daily coordination of
on-grounds interpretation schedule according to the needs of the
Public Programs team.
- Supporting the Public Programs Day Captain by conducting regular
rounds of the Zoo to check needs for additional coverage, providing
breaks to Exhibit Interpreters, and conducting guest crowd control
- Inventory and organizations of Public Programs materials including
interpretive activity supplies and PPE and communicating needs to
the Public Programs Supervisors.
- Maintain Public Programs equipment including tents, microphones
- Work with the Education Programs Coordinator to maintain the
Education Department’s technology including, but not limited to
iPads, iPhones, gimbals, laptops, and radios.
- Support the Public Programs team in content creation for
programming and interpretive resources.
- Participate in the evaluation process for programs and exhibits.
- Mentor Exhibit Interpreters in interpretive methods and techniques
and support the Public Programs Supervisors in training of Exhibit Interpreters.
- Manage cash and credit card transactions with Zoo guests at Twiga
Terrace, Zoo Atlanta’s Giraffe Feeding platform, and for on-grounds
Wild Encounter sales.
- Participate as an active member of the Education team and
represent the department on cross-departmental teams as assigned.
- Maintain positive working relationship with project partners,
staff, and volunteers including but not limited to Education,
Operations, and Animal Management teams, volunteer interpreters, and Docents.
- Assist with Zoo sponsored events, sometimes in early morning or
- Any other miscellaneous projects assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s
Education management team.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year,
therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to
work weekends, holidays and evenings.