Job Title: 2021 School and Family Camp Lead Educator
Reports to: Community & Camp Programs Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Seasonal/Hourly
Job Purpose: The School and Family Camp Lead
Educator position advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating
experiences that engage, educate and energize program participants to
action. As a Summer Camp Lead Educator, this position assists in
facilitating and overseeing daily program logistics, ensuring that
Educators are prepared to successfully and safely lead camp groups
throughout the summer. Summer Camp Lead Educators facilitate learning
for groups of all ages using interactive, STEM-based curriculum that
showcases Zoo Atlanta’s work to conserve wildlife and wild places; how
to protect our environment; and how every person can make a difference
in these areas. Additionally, these individuals teach daytime and
evening programs both at the Zoo and in the community and will also
assist the Public Programs Team with on-grounds guest interpretation..
This is a full-time, seasonal position that reports to the Community
and Camp Program Supervisor and the Manager of School and Family Programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assume management of program, when program supervisors are not
present. This includes ensuring a high quality, safe, engaging
experience for Zoo program participants as well as acting as a
support and resource for other program staff.
- Assist in leading educator orientations, trainings and the
development of camp curriculum
- Educate and inspire guests (primarily campers ages 4-17) to be
- Assist supervisors in managing day to day operations of programs,
including but not limited to program rules and expectations
- Lead daily check-in and/or check-out; lead extended care
activities as necessary.
- Collaborate with supervisors and other Zoo Team members to ensure
all guest or staff issues/incidents are documented and addressed in
a timely and professional manner.
- Model appropriate behavior and professionalism and be a resource
to Educators and guests
- Prepared to act as a back-up Educator as necessary
- Report program needs to supervisor as necessary.
Educator/Zoo Team Specific:
- Deliver high quality programming as part of Zoo Atlanta’s Summer
Safari Camp programs and School and Family programs
- Commitment to learn and master all content and skills needed to
provide quality programming to Zoo program participants and guests.
- Be able to provide excellent customer service to all zoo guests,
including parents and campers
- Preparation and breakdown of program materials
- Know and follow all emergency procedures and protocols
- Maintain a positive and encouraging attitude to co-workers and guests
- Assist with and/or lead on-grounds programming and projects as needed
- Must attend all Zoo Atlanta mandatory training
- Must attend all mandatory Lead as well as Team meetings and workshops
- Completion of various additional duties as assigned