Job Title: Communications and Social Media Specialist
Department: Marketing/Public Relations
Reports to: Director of Communications
Job Purpose: To assist the Public Relations Team in
promoting Zoo Atlanta’s animal news, programs, conservation
initiatives, business accomplishments, events and mission to the
general public and key stakeholders through traditional and
non-traditional communications; social and digital media programs;
social media monitoring and reporting, and regular on-site media
- Serves as an integral part of Zoo Atlanta’s social media/digital
content teams by facilitating day-to-day management and content
development for at least one of Zoo Atlanta’s social media networks
and other owned digital channels based on regular editorial content calendars.
- Responsible for regularly capturing content and collaborating with
Zoo Atlanta’s animal care teams on content development.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a program of social
- Responsible for media monitoring, tracking, and production of
traditional media and social media reports.
- Assists with development and execution of an internal Zoo employee e-newsletter.
- Researches and identifies curated content for Zoo Atlanta’s
digital properties; researches and applies trends and best practices
in social media; researches trends in global wildlife conservation movements.
- Supports Zoo Atlanta communications objectives by providing
written content, including but not limited to feature articles, blog
posts and long and short-lead calendar listings.
- Supports Zoo Atlanta’s public relations efforts by serving as
media escort for on-site filming requests, interviews and television
and motion picture filming as assigned.
- Assists Director of Communications in scheduling and/or fulfilling
media requests for interviews, photography and other Zoo Atlanta
assets as assigned.
- Assists with implementation and execution of Public Relations
Team-related special events, projects and presentations.
- Assists with providing support for posting web-based content on zooatlanta.org.
- Develops and proactively maintains extensive working knowledge and
continuing education of Zoo Atlanta’s animal collection, programs,
products and offerings.
- Manages special projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and
- Weekend/holiday and some evening work required.