Job Title: Keeper III
Department: Ambassador Animals
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Animal keepers are responsible for animal husbandry, including
training and enrichment. Additionally, animal keepers are responsible
for maintenance of habitats, holding and public areas of the assigned
department. The Keeper III will report to the area managers. For more
information about our animal, conservation, and research programs
visit www.zooatlanta.org. The
Ambassador Animal team cares for the zoo’s tractable education
collection, bird show birds, petting zoo and a few exhibits. This
position is primarily with our Outback Station area which includes
goats, sheep, alpaca, kune kune pigs, Patagonian mara and kinkajou.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and
communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Maintain a high-performance level of advanced keeper duties
including excellent animal care and guest interactions.
- Strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive
relationships within the work environment.
- Actively participate in the improvement of area policies,
procedures and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for
the collection and the safety of staff and guests with the
willingness to provide constructive feedback.
- Support and participate in the coordination of collaborative
efforts pertaining to the care of the collection including, but not
limited to, training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training and utilize operant
- Actively foster constructive attitudes and positively participate
in a team environment.
- Support Zoo Atlanta and its departments which include marketing,
education, veterinary services, facilities and external department initiatives.
- Demonstrate the ability to coordinate and supervise activities of
interns and volunteers.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers,
both written and orally.
- When possible, actively participate in workshops, seminars,
activities, and conferences aimed at continually improving job
knowledge and professional development.
- Must be willing to fully support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan,
mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth
by the area managers.
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends
- Must be excited to interact with guests in the contact yard.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.