Job Title: Security Manager
Department: Loss Prevention
Reports to: Director of Security Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Purpose: The Security Manager is responsible for
protecting Zoo Atlanta’s interest through the day-to-day coordination
with contract management and supervisory staff. The Security Manager
will ensure that operations run smoothly with little or no
interruption and provide on-site guidance/oversight when necessary.
This position is classified as an essential operating position and as
such, may be required to remain on and/or report for duty during
declared emergencies or when necessary to support operational needs.
Declared emergencies and operational needs will be defined by the
Director of Security Operations (DOSO) or any member of the Senior
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- At the direction of the Director of Security Operations, provide
continual immediate and long-range assessment of Zoo Atlanta
protection needs and recommend changes in personnel, equipment
and/or operating procedures as needed.
- Administer security framework necessary to ensure compliance with
all Zoo Atlanta’s security operations, policies, and procedures;
oversee the correction of security compliance issues
- Assist with analysis and interpretation of trends and necessary
- Act as liaison between on-site contract management and Zoo Atlanta staff.
- Provide direction to contract management staff, make decisions in
time sensitive situations and coordinating with internal and
- Monitor contractor performance for legal and negotiated
- Coordinate protection needs with other departments for daily
operations and special events.
- Ensure assigned goals and deadlines are met by monitoring progress
and keeping the DOSO well informed with up-to-date reports
- Supervise other assigned staff members, including scheduling,
payroll, corrective actions, etc.
- Trains others in performance of security related duties as necessary.
- Assist with updating emergency procedures.
- Recommends protection measures to guard against theft, vandalism,
violence, or other threats against the Zoo Atlanta, employees,
- Ensure all necessary shift reports are completed and all security
violations/incidents are recorded.
- Provide crowd control within the Zoo during operating hours.
- Conduct intruder and fire alarm testing to ensure proper functioning.
- Assist in forecasting annual budget for security, first aid,
parking/traffic, and safety programs.
- Assist or conduct investigates and prepares written summaries as needed/directed
- Develop/implement/update security post orders.
- Interact with public by providing first aid, information,
directions, answering questions, explaining policies and procedures, etc.
- Conduct routine EHS inspections and reviews; assist supervisors
with accident, incident and near miss investigations; investigate
root causes and ensure corrective actions.
- Identify improvements and make recommendations to the overall
safety program at Zoo Atlanta
- Collect and analyze injury and accident data; develops and tracks
performance measures. Conducts hazard evaluations, develops accident
- Work with management and employees in various capacities to ensure
compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations and
agency policies. Specific programs include (but not limited to):
Personal protective equipment, respiratory protection, hazard
communication, medical monitoring and record-keeping, industrial
hygiene evaluations, bloodborne pathogens, ergonomics, JSA (job
safety analyses), lockout/tagout, confined spaces, first aid,
hearing protection, fire protection, driver training, laboratory
chemical hygiene plan.
- Ensures that the safety committee operates in accordance with its
charter; conduct participate in monthly committee meetings.
- Provide technical knowledge and guidance with the installation and
maintenance of campus protection equipment. This includes access
control, burglar, fire detection/suppression and anti-theft systems.
- Keep abreast of technological changes in the field and recommend
changes or improvements to security equipment as needed.
- Meet weekly with the Director of Security Operations to discuss
all major occurrences and the status of the security force.
- Works various shifts on short notice for unspecified time as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director of Security Operation