Job Title: Keeper I
Department: Birds and Program Animals
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curators
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Animal keepers are responsible for animal husbandry, including
training and enrichment. Additionally, animal keepers are responsible
for maintenance of habitats, holdings, and public areas as assigned.
The Keeper I will report to the area managers. This job is working
with the exhibit birds and associated areas. It generally does not
involve working with show birds and program animals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection
and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the
care of the collection including training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training and utilize operant
conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures, and
protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection
and the safety of staff and guests.
- Maintain a high-performance level of general keeper
dutiesincluding excellent animal care and guest interactions
including scheduled on-ground talks.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive
relationships within the work environment.
- Positively promote and foster work that improves department
function and productivity.
- Oversee activities of interns and volunteers.
- When possible, actively participate in workshops, seminars,
activities and conferences aimed at continually improving job
knowledge and professional development.
- Must be willing to fully support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan,
mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth
by the area managers.
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.