Job Title: Adult Learning and Curriculum Specialist
Department: Education Department
Reports to: Manager of School & Family Programs
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Adult Learning and Curriculum
Specialist advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by developing and
facilitating learning experiences for adult learner that emphasize the
work of the Zoo and engages audiences in being active participants to
save wildlife and wild places. Specifically, this role leads all Zoo
Atlanta professional learning programs for Pre-K to 12th grade
Educators, all adult programming, and development of all associated
curricula. This position is responsible for creating a new suite of
learning experiences for adult learners that incorporate best
practices in learning while showcasing Zoo Atlanta’s animal
ambassadors, conservation and research efforts. This individual is an
active member of the education team, responsible for teaching and
evaluating programs, training educators, and representing education on
necessary cross departmental teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and implement a new suite of engaging programs for adult
audiences that highlight Zoo Atlanta’s mission and incorporate best
practices in learning.
- Work cross departmentally to identify adult audiences and their needs.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive professional learning
program for PreK-12 educators for both in-person and virtual audiences.
- Work in collaboration with the School Programs Supervisor to
create new programs as well as revise and expand existing programs
that highlight phenomenon within Zoo Atlanta and align with state,
national, and AZA education standards.
- Oversee and participate in the development of STEM based
curriculum that promotes an understanding of the natural word and
conservation of species.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships across school districts and
with other professionals in cultural institutions.
- Purchase and prepare program materials and supplies.
- Develop, implement and report on evaluation of professional
development experiences and adult programming
- Develop and prepare any necessary program materials for
participants (registration packet, activities, animal information, etc.).
- Assist in the development of a marketing action plan for
increasing levels of program attendance and revenue throughout the year.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of all Adult Programs.
- Present at regional and national conferences as it relates to
teacher professional learning.
- Coordinate any Education Department grants as it relates to
professional learning, content and curriculum creation, maintaining
grant reporting records, and communication with teachers.
- Work cross departmentally in event planning and to further support
mission of the zoo.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and
- Weekend/holiday and some evening work required.
- Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year,
therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to
work some weekends, holidays and evenings.