Title: School and Family Daytime Educator II
Posted: November 2021
Job Status: Part-time
Primary Reporting to: School and Family Programs Supervisors
Secondary Reporting to: Manager of School and Family Programs
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Job Purpose: A Daytime Educator II advances the
mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating experiences that engage, educate
and energize program participants to action. These individuals teach
daytime programs both at the Zoo and in the community. Specifically,
they facilitate learning for groups of all ages using interactive,
STEM-based curriculum that showcases Zoo Atlanta’s work to conserve
wildlife and wild places; how to protect our environment; and how
every person can make a difference in these areas. Educator IIs will
additionally train to become approved animal handlers and facilitate
Program Animal Ambassador experiences as part of educational programming.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver high quality programming as part of all Zoo Atlanta’s
daytime educational experiences. Programming includes but is not
limited to: Field Trip programs, ZooMobiles, Scout Programs,
Professional Learning programs, Home School Academy, Safari Camp,
Special Events, and Tours.
- Willingness to cross train on additional Education programs such
as NightCrawler, Twilight Trek, and Adventure Cubs.
- Commitment to learn and master all content and skills needed to
provide quality programming to Zoo program participants and guests.
- Be able to provide excellent customer service to all zoo guests,
including parents, teachers, chaperones, students, etc.
- Preparation and breakdown of program materials.
- Report program needs to supervisor as necessary.
- Provide animal ambassador experiences, when appropriate, as part
of programming. This includes ensuring the safety of all guests and
animals during experiences.
- Must complete and maintain animal ambassador handling status, per
Zoo Atlanta animal ambassador handling policies.
- Know and follow all emergency procedures and protocols.
- Maintain a positive and encouraging attitude to co-workers and guests.
- Assist with and/or lead on-grounds programming and projects as needed.
- Must attend all Zoo Atlanta mandatory training (i.e. customer
service training) as well as Team meetings and workshops
- Completion of various additional duties as assigned.