Job Title: Savanna Swing Keeper
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Animal keepers are responsible for animal husbandry (including
training and enrichment), maintenance of habitats, holdings, and
public areas of the assigned department. The Savanna Swing Keeper will
directly report to the Elephant and Hoofstock Lead Keepers within the
Mammal Department. This position currently provides care for white
rhinos, giraffe, African elephants, zebra, warthog, ostrich, meerkats,
and naked mole rats.. Scheduling and time in each area will be based
on departmental and scheduling needs. For more information about Zoo
Atlanta’s animal, conservation, and research programs visit www.zooatlanta.org.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and
communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Maintain a high-performance level of general keeper
dutiesincluding excellent animal care and guest interactions.
- Strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive
relationships within the work environment.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures and
protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection
and the safety of staff and guests.
- Able to receive and provide constructive feedback.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the
care of the collection including training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training and utilize operant
conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Actively foster constructive attitudes and positively participate
in a team environment.
- Support Zoo Atlanta and its departments which include marketing,
education, veterinary services, facilities, and external department initiatives.
- Demonstrate the ability to coordinate and supervise activities of
interns and volunteers.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers,
both written and orally.
- When possible, actively participate in workshops, seminars,
activities, and conferences aimed at continually improving job
knowledge and professional development.
- Must be willing to fully support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan,
mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth
by the area managers.
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends,
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.