Job Title: Summer Safari Camp Educator
Reports to: Community & Camp Programs Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Grade: 4
Job Status: Seasonal/Hourly
Job Purpose: The Summer Safari Camp Educator position
advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating experiences that
engage, educate and energize program participants to action.
Specifically, summer camp educators facilitate learning for campers
ages Kindergarten-8th graders (5-14 years old) using interactive,
STEAM-based curriculum that showcases Zoo Atlanta’s work to conserve
wildlife and wild places; how to protect our environment; and how
every person can make a difference in these areas. This is a
full-time, seasonal position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Enthusiastically engage campers by leading them through
environmental and conservation education lessons, Zoo tours,
hands-on projects, games and activities for age groups ranging from
Kindergarten-Rising 8th Graders (5-14 years).
- Facilitate extended care games and activities with campers.
- Document all camp issues as needed including camper behavior and incidents.
- Complete assigned responsibilities including set-up, clean-up and
program maintenance. Assist with daily check-in and check-out.
- Supervise lunchtime activities.
- Build and maintain a good working rapport with co-workers, campers
- Work in a team environment, creating a safe and fun experience for children.
- Help maintain clean and safe spaces by sanitizing all materials
daily, ensuring all participants (including self) are wearing masks
at all times, and encouraging campers to socially distance when and
- Attend and actively participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Work with and mentor Volunteens (teenage volunteers)
Perform other duties as required.