Job Title: Keeper III
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time hourly starting at $19.33. Pay
commensurate with experience. Zoo Atlanta is committed to regularly
evaluating keeper salary.
About Zoo Atlanta:
Minutes from downtown, Zoo Atlanta is the oldest and one of the most
respected cultural destinations in the Southeast’s largest and most
vibrant city. Culture, dining, nightlife, and famously eclectic
neighborhoods, not to mention a temperate climate year-round, attract
a growing number of newcomers to the one-and-only Atlanta. Atlanta is
known as the "City in the Trees," with the Zoo and
surrounding neighborhood showcasing why. The zoo is in a strong
financial position and is committed to investing in our staff and
facilities to continue our focus on animal care, research, and
conservation. We offer competitive pay rates, a diverse animal
collection and an enriching work environment. We are looking for new
team members dedicated to providing the best in animal welfare.
Animal keepers are responsible for animal welfare and husbandry,
including training and enrichment. Additionally, animal keepers are
responsible for maintenance of habitats, holdings, and public areas as
assigned. The Keeper III will report to the area managers and should
be willing to serve as a point person for the area in the absence of
managers. Zoo Atlanta’s Hoofstock Department currently houses
reticulated giraffe, plains zebra, ostrich, bontebok, warthogs, and
southern white rhinos. For more information about our mission,
animal, conservation, and research programs visit www.zooatlanta.org.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan, mission
and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Maintain a high-performance level of excellent animal care.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the
care of the collection including training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training provided by Zoo Atlanta
and utilize operant conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Complete animal welfare training provided by Zoo Atlanta,
participate in animal welfare assessments, and contribute to
follow-through on animal welfare action items when necessary.
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection
and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures, and
protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection
and the safety of staff and guests.
- Maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through
implementation of safety protocols and procedures.
- Use positive interpersonal skills to form and maintain
professional relationships within the work environment.
- Maintain a high-performance level of guest interactions including
scheduled on-ground talks.
- Takes action to advance and promote department function and
productively motivates others to do the same.
- Highly proficient at communicating with supervisory staff and
co-workers both written and orally.
- Write daily reports, logs, animal records, and other records as
assigned and serves as a resource for effective record keeping.
- Demonstrates the ability to coordinate and supervise activities of
interns and volunteers.
- Actively assists others in expanding and developing their job knowledge.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth
by the area managers.
- Demonstrates the ability to meet challenges with a
- Must be dependable and reliable: be timely, be responsive, be
organized, meet deadlines, take responsibility, and help other zoo
staff as needed.
- Promote communication and information sharing between the
- Employees must strive to decrease our environmental footprint to
serve as models to our patrons to do the same through education and example.
- Must be able and willing to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.