Job Title: Part-Time Keeper I
Reports to: Lead Keeper and Curator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Part-time hourly starting at $15.70
Bird keepers are responsible for animal husbandry, including training
and enrichment. Additionally, bird keepers are responsible for
maintenance of habitats, holdings, and public areas as assigned. The
Part-Time Keeper position is a permanent position and will report to
the area managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection
and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the
care of the collection including training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures, and
protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection
and the safety of staff and guests.
- Maintain a high-performance level of general keeper
dutiesincluding excellent animal care and guest interactions
including scheduled on-ground talks.
- All bird keepers, after suitable training, will at times need to
work in full contact situations with potentially dangerous birds.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive
relationships within the work environment.
- Positively promote and foster work that improves department
function and productivity.
- Work with and provide guidance to interns and volunteers.
- Must be willing to fully support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan,
mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth
by the area managers.
- Support Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Must be willing to work in
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends
- Work hours will generally work a set schedule of 20 hours per
week, with an emphasis on midweek days.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.