Zoo Atlanta lives by the phrase, "a fun place to work and
play," and is unique among workplaces in that our heart and soul
is the daily care of more than 1,000 animals from around the world.
Where else in the city can you go to work alongside giant pandas,
gorillas, elephants, and many more? Our mission sets us apart, and
every day at Zoo Atlanta is an opportunity for discovery, a chance to
contribute to conservation, and a way to make a difference in the
lives of the people of our community
Job Perks (Seasonal and Part-Time):
As a part-time Education team member, you will enjoy a fun fast paced
environment and great teammates as well as:
- Retirement Savings Plan (403b)
- Employee Assistance Program
- FREE park admission for family and friends
- Discounted pricing on individual and family education programs,
such as Safari Camp, Twilight Trek, NightCrawler, Survival Safari, and much more!
- Join the standby list for free behind-the-scenes
encounters with elephants, lemurs, giant pandas, aldabra tortoises!
- 50% off Zoo Atlanta memberships. Gift up to 5 others with 50% off
- Park discounts on food, gift shop merchandise, etc.
- Local discounts and free admission to partnering attractions, such
as the Georgia Aquarium, Dollywood, and more!
Job Title: School and Family Evening/Weekend Lead Educator
Posted: November 2022
Start Date: January 2023
Job Status: Part-time
Primary Reporting to: Youth and Family Programs Supervisor
Secondary Reporting to: Manager of School and Family Programs
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Job Purpose: An Evening/Weekend Lead Educator
advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating experiences that
engage, educate and energize program participants to action. As a Lead
Educator, this position assists in facilitating and overseeing daily
program logistics, ensuring that Educators are prepared to
successfully and safely lead groups. In addition, this position
teaches evening, overnight and weekend daytime programs both at the
Zoo and in the community. Specifically, as an Educator, they
facilitate learning for groups of all ages using interactive,
STEM-based curriculum that showcases Zoo Atlanta’s work to conserve
wildlife and wild places; how to protect our environment; and how
every person can make a difference in these areas. Educator Leads are
trained animal handlers and facilitate Program Animal Ambassador
experiences as part of educational programming.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assume management of program, when program supervisors are not
present. This includes ensuring a high quality, safe, engaging
experience for Zoo program participants as well as acting as a
support and resource for other program staff.
- Assist in leading Educator orientations, trainings, and mentorship.
- Assist in the development of curriculum.
- Assist supervisors in managing day-to-day operations of programs,
including but not limited to program rules and expectations.
- Collaborate with supervisors and other zoo team members to ensure
all guest or staff issues/incidents are documented and addressed in
a timely and professional manner.
- Model appropriate behavior and professionalism and be a resource
to Educators and guests
- Prepared to act as a back-up Educator as necessary.
- Report program needs to supervisor as necessary.
Educator/Zoo Team Specific:
- Deliver high quality programming as part of all Zoo Atlanta’s
weekend, evening, and overnight educational experiences.
Programming includes but is not limited to: Night Crawlers, Twilight
Trek, Scout Programs, Adventure Cubs, Special Events, and Tours.
- Commitment to learn and master all content and skills needed to
provide quality programming to Zoo program participants and guests.
- Be able to provide excellent customer service to all zoo guests,
including parents, teachers, chaperones, students, etc.
- Preparation and breakdown of program materials.
- Provide animal ambassador experiences, when appropriate, as part
of programming. This includes ensuring the safety of all guests and
animals during experiences.
- Must complete and maintain animal ambassador handling status, per
Zoo Atlanta animal ambassador handling policies.
- Know and follow all emergency procedures and protocols.
- Maintain a positive and encouraging attitude to co-workers and guests.
- Assist with and/or lead on-grounds programming and projects as needed.
- Must attend all Zoo Atlanta mandatory training (i.e. customer
- Must attend all mandatory Lead and Team meetings and workshops.
- Completion of various additional duties as assigned.