Job Title: Primate Keeper I, II or III
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Keeper I: Full-time hourly starting at $15.70. Pay
commensurate with experience.
Keeper II: Full-time hourly starting at $17.95. Pay
commensurate with experience.
Keeper III: Full-time hourly starting at $19.33. Pay
commensurate with experience.
**Zoo Atlanta is committed to regularly evaluating keeper
Who we are: Minutes from downtown, Zoo Atlanta is the
oldest and one of the most respected cultural destinations in the
Southeast’s largest and most vibrant city. Culture, dining, nightlife,
and famously eclectic neighborhoods, not to mention a temperate
climate year-round, attract a growing number of newcomers to the
one-and-only Atlanta. Atlanta is known as the "City in the
Trees," with the Zoo and surrounding neighborhood showcasing why.
The zoo is in a strong financial position and is committed to
investing in our staff and facilities to continue our focus on animal
care, research, and conservation. We offer competitive pay rates, a
diverse animal collection and an enriching work environment. We are
looking for new team members dedicated to providing the best in animal welfare.
Zoo Atlanta is home to a number of highly endangered primate species,
including western lowland gorillas, Sumatran and Bornean orangutans,
golden lion tamarins, drill monkeys and lemurs. We currently have the
largest populations of gorillas, orangutans and drills in the
country. Having such large populations adds considerably to our
ability to conduct meaningful scientific studies, also making Zoo
Atlanta a site for groundbreaking Primate Research.
What we offer: As a workplace, Zoo Atlanta is very
proud of a commitment to diversity and inclusion and a competitive
compensation and benefits package. Benefits include but are not
limited to outstanding medical coverage and 403b retirement program
match; vacation time buy and sell; professional development training;
paid time off for community volunteering; and more.
Perks for this full-time position include:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and other supplemental insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan (403b) with employer match after 12 months
- Paid time off includes vacation, sick and personal days plus holidays
- Up to $3,000 in relocation assistance for qualifying positions
- Tuition assistance program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee short term and long-term disability insurance paid for by
- Opportunities for professional development paid for by Zoo Atlanta
- Local discounts and free admission to partnering attractions
- Complimentary family Zoo membership
- Discounted pricing on individual and family education programs,
such as Safari Camp, Twilight Trek, NightCrawler, Survival Safari, and much more!
- Join the standby list for free behind-the-scenes
encounters with elephants, lemurs, giant pandas, aldabra tortoises!
Who you are: Animal keepers are responsible for
animal welfare and husbandry, including training and enrichment.
Additionally, animal keepers are responsible for maintenance of
habitats, holdings, and public areas as assigned. The Keeper I, II, or
III will report to the area managers. For more information about our mission, animal,
conservation, and research programs visit www.zooatlanta.org. Zoo Atlanta is home to one of
North America’s largest populations of gorillas and orangutans. Our
primate programs are nationally and internationally recognized with
our research, training, enrichment, and animal care techniques
contributing to the world’s knowledge of ape biology, behavior, and
management. Zoo Atlanta is also the only facility in North America
that houses drill monkeys, considered endangered by IUCN. Our small
primates live in dynamic mixed species habitats.
There are currently multiple openings in the Primate department.
We are currently hiring keepers for our gorilla, orangutan and small
How to apply: Please apply directly on the Zoo Atlanta Careers website at www.zooatlanta.org/careers
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Additional responsibilities given based on Keeper Level hired in as.
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan, mission
and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Maintain a high-performance level of excellent animal care.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the
care of the collection including training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training provided by Zoo Atlanta
and utilize operant conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Complete animal welfare training provided by Zoo Atlanta,
participate in animal welfare assessments, and contribute to
follow-through on animal welfare action items when necessary.
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection
and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures, and
protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection
and the safety of staff and guests.
- Maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through
implementation of safety protocols and procedures.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive
relationships within the work environment.
- Maintain a high-performance level of guest interactions including
scheduled on-ground talks.
Positively promote and foster work that improves department
function and productivity.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers
both written and orally.
- Write daily reports, logs, animal records, and other records as assigned.
- Oversee activities of interns and volunteers.
Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set
forth by the area managers.
- Must be dependable and reliable: be timely, be responsive, be
organized, meet deadlines, take responsibility, and help other zoo
staff as needed.
Employees must strive to decrease
our environmental footprint to serve as models to our patrons to
do the same through education and example.
- Must be able and willing to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to be trained and carry pepper spray.
- Must be willing to comply with department PPE policy.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.