Zoo Atlanta lives by the phrase, "a fun place to work and
play," and is unique among workplaces in that our heart and soul
is the daily care of more than 1,000 animals from around the world.
Where else in the city can you go to work alongside giant pandas,
gorillas, elephants, and many more? Our mission sets us apart, and
every day at Zoo Atlanta is an opportunity for discovery, a chance to
contribute to conservation, and a way to make a difference in the
lives of the people of our community
Job Perks (Seasonal and Part-Time):
As a part-time Education team member, you will enjoy a fun fast paced
environment and great teammates as well as:
- Retirement Savings Plan (403b)
- Employee Assistance Program
- FREE park admission for family and friends
- Discounted pricing on individual and family education programs,
such as Safari Camp, Twilight Trek, NightCrawler, Survival Safari, and much more!
- Join the standby list for free behind-the-scenes
encounters with elephants, lemurs, giant pandas, aldabra tortoises!
- 50% off Zoo Atlanta memberships. Gift up to 5 others with 50% off
- Park discounts on food, gift shop merchandise, etc.
- Local discounts and free admission to partnering attractions, such
as the Georgia Aquarium, Dollywood, and more!
Job Title: Summer Safari Camp Lead Educator
Reports to: Manager of School and Family Programs
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Seasonal/Hourly
Job Purpose: The Summer Camp Lead Educator position
advances the mission of Zoo Atlanta by creating experiences that
engage, educate and energize program participants to action. As a
Summer Camp Lead Educator, this position assists in facilitating and
overseeing daily program logistics, ensuring that Educators are
prepared to successfully and safely lead camp groups throughout the
summer. Summer Camp Lead Educators facilitate learning for groups of
all ages using interactive, STEAM-based curriculum that showcases Zoo
Atlanta’s work to conserve wildlife and wild places; how to protect
our environment; and how every person can make a difference in these
areas. Summer Camp Lead Educators will also play a vital role in
enforcing the Safari Camp program’s health and safety policies and
protocols. This is a full-time, seasonal position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assume management of program when program supervisors are not
present. This includes ensuring a high quality, safe, engaging
experience for Zoo program participants as well as acting as a
support and resource for other program staff.
- Assist in leading educator orientations, trainings, and the
development of camp curriculum.
- Educate and inspire guests (primarily campers ages 5-14) to be
- Assist supervisors in managing day to day operations of programs,
including but not limited to program rules and expectations.
- Collaborate with supervisors and other Zoo Team members to ensure
all guest or staff issues/incidents. are documented and addressed in
a timely and professional manner.
- Model appropriate behavior and professionalism and be a resource
to Educators and guests.
- Prepared to act as a back-up Educator as necessary.
- Report program needs to supervisor as necessary.
- Maintain clean and safe spaces and ensure that staff follow all
- Lead daily check-in and/or check-out; lead extended care
activities as necessary.
Educator/Zoo Team Specific:
- Deliver high quality programming as part of Zoo Atlanta’s Summer
Safari Camp programs
- Commitment to learn and master all content and skills needed to
provide quality programming to Zoo program participants and guests.
- Be able to provide excellent customer service to all zoo guests,
including parents and campers.
- Preparation and breakdown of program materials.
- Know and follow all emergency procedures and protocols.
- Maintain a positive and encouraging attitude to co-workers and guests.
- Assist with and/or lead on-grounds programming and projects as needed.
- Must attend all Zoo Atlanta mandatory training.
- Must attend all mandatory Lead as well as Team meetings and workshops.
- Completion of various additional duties as assigned.