Job Title: Carnivore Keeper I
Reports to: Lead Keepers and Curatorial Staff
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Full-time hourly starting at $15.70. Pay
commensurate with experience. Zoo Atlanta is committed to regularly
evaluating keeper salary.
Who we are: Located just minutes from downtown, Zoo
Atlanta is the oldest and one of the most respected cultural
destinations in the Southeast’s largest and most vibrant city.
Culture, dining, nightlife, and famously eclectic neighborhoods, not
to mention a temperate climate year-round, attract a growing number of
newcomers to the one-and-only Atlanta.
As an organization, Zoo Atlanta’s points of pride include being one
of only three zoos in the U.S. to house giant pandas; home of one of
North America’s largest populations of great apes; and a longtime
reputation for excellence in the care and study of reptiles and
amphibians. Our mission sets us apart, and every day at Zoo Atlanta is
an opportunity for discovery, a chance to contribute to conservation,
and a way to make a difference in the lives of the people of our community.
What we offer: As a workplace, Zoo Atlanta is very
proud of a commitment to diversity and inclusion and a competitive
compensation and benefits package. Benefits include but are not
limited to outstanding medical coverage and 403b retirement program
match; vacation time buy and sell; professional development training;
paid time off for community volunteering; and more.
Perks for this full-time position include:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and other supplemental insurance
- Relocating stipend for qualifying new employees
- Retirement Savings Plan (403b) with employer match after 12 months
- Paid time off includes vacation, sick and personal days plus holidays
- Tuition assistance program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee short term and long-term disability insurance paid for by
- Opportunities for professional development paid for by Zoo Atlanta
- Local discounts and free admission to partnering attractions
- Complimentary family Zoo membership
- Discounted pricing on individual and family education programs,
such as Safari Camp, Twilight Trek, NightCrawler, Survival Safari, and much more!
- Join the standby list for free behind-the-scenes
encounters with elephants, lemurs, giant pandas, aldabra tortoises!
Who you are: Animal keepers are responsible for
animal welfare and husbandry, including training and enrichment.
Additionally, animal keepers are responsible for maintenance of
habitats, holdings, and public areas as assigned. The Keeper I will
report to the area managers. Zoo Atlanta’s Carnivore Department
currently houses African lions, Sumatran tigers, giant river otters,
binturong, sun bears, clouded leopard, and fossa. For more
information about our mission, animal, conservation, and research
programs visit www.zooatlanta.org.
How to apply: Please apply directly on the Zoo Atlanta Careers website at www.zooatlanta.org/careers
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s strategic plan, mission
and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Maintain a high-performance level of excellent animal care.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the
care of the collection including training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training provided by Zoo Atlanta
and utilize operant conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Complete animal welfare training provided by Zoo Atlanta,
participate in animal welfare assessments, and contribute to
follow-through on animal welfare action items when necessary.
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection
and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee
administration of medications as applicable.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures, and
protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection
and the safety of staff and guests.
- Maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through
implementation of safety protocols and procedures.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive
relationships within the work environment.
- Maintain a high-performance level of guest interactions including
scheduled on-ground talks.
- Positively promote and foster work that improves department
function and productivity.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers
both written and orally.
- Write daily reports, logs, animal records, and other records as assigned
- Oversee activities of interns and volunteers.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth
by the area managers.
- Must be dependable and reliable: be timely, be responsive, be
organized, meet deadlines, take responsibility, and help other zoo
staff as needed.
- Employees must strive to decrease our environmental footprint to
serve as models to our patrons to do the same through education and example.
- Must be able and willing to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive;
therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably
related duties as assigned by management.