Job Title: Public Events Manager
Department: Public Events
Reports to: Director of Events
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time
Who we are: Located just minutes from downtown, Zoo
Atlanta is the oldest and one of the most respected cultural
destinations in the Southeast’s largest and most vibrant city.
Culture, dining, nightlife, and famously eclectic neighborhoods, not
to mention a temperate climate year-round, attract a growing number of
newcomers to the one-and-only Atlanta.
As an organization, Zoo Atlanta’s points of pride include being one
of only three zoos in the U.S. to house giant pandas; home of one of
North America’s largest populations of great apes; and a longtime
reputation for excellence in the care and study of reptiles and
amphibians. Our mission sets us apart, and every day at Zoo Atlanta is
an opportunity for discovery, a chance to contribute to conservation,
and a way to make a difference in the lives of the people of our community.
What we offer: As a workplace, Zoo Atlanta is very
proud of a commitment to diversity and inclusion and a competitive
compensation and benefits package. Benefits include but are not
limited to outstanding medical coverage and 403b retirement program
match; vacation time buy and sell; professional development training;
paid time off for community volunteering; and more.
Perks for this full-time position include:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and other supplemental insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan (403b) with employer match after 12 months
- Paid time off includes vacation, sick and personal days plus holidays
- Tuition assistance program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee short term and long-term disability insurance paid for by
- Opportunities for professional development paid for by Zoo Atlanta
- Local discounts and free admission to partnering attractions
- Complimentary family Zoo membership
- Discounted pricing on individual and family education programs,
such as Safari Camp, Twilight Trek, NightCrawler, Survival Safari, and much more!
- Join the standby list for free behind-the-scenes
encounters with elephants, lemurs, giant pandas, aldabra tortoises!
Who you are: The Public Events Manager oversees the
conception, planning and execution of all Zoo Public Events.
Responsibilities include budget development and oversight, extensive
event detailing, exemplary execution of events and post event
evaluation reports and profitability analyses. It requires excellent
communication and collaboration with various Zoo departments
throughout the organization to ensure seamless event execution, as
well as the ongoing development of Public Events team members.
Assistance with management of special projects, special exhibits and
general Zoo operations as needed.
How to apply: Please apply directly on the Zoo Atlanta Careers website at www.zooatlanta.org/careers
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Expertly plan and execute the Zoo’s diverse portfolio of Public
Events, including but not limited to Brew at the Zoo, Boo at the
Zoo, Run Like Wild, Savanna Nights summer series, Sippin’ Safari and more.
- Research, conceptualize and maintain a pipeline of new event
opportunities, as well as identify ways to refresh and improve
- Develop, administer and monitor departmental budget and
event-specific P&Ls, making adjustments as needed to revenue and
expenditures to stay within budget.
- Fully detail events in the Zoo’s Reserve booking software to
include preparation of event orders, space diagrams, equipment
allocation and staffing plans.
- Hire, train, inspire & develop Public Events team members to
ensure meaningful contribution to the department and organization.
- Attend weekly calendar meetings to ensure Zoo operational impacts
are identified and communicated accordingly.
- Communicate event plans in a thorough and timely manner with
internal Zoo departments which support or are impacted by Public Events.
- Collaborate with catering, concessions and other contract event
partners to ensure detailing of events & execution standards are
met or exceeded.
- Identify and steward relationships with vendors to enhance and
support Zoo Public Events.
- Maintain inventory of event supplies, both on and off site.
- Must be willing to work nights, holidays and weekends.
- Must be supportive of Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values
statements and Strategic Plan.
- Additional duties as assigned.